XXII. Mega Man

Sonic rushed into the building through the back door. He was staring from me to my father several times as if there was something wrong with us. Tempo's eyes stayed fixated on him. "Like, have you not looked outside in the past five minutes? Because there's like an entire invasion going on out there."

"What...?" I asked, squinting as I tried to look outside. But there was a wall in the way.

Dr. Light looked really surprised, and Tempo and I stayed put. Roll put her hands by her face, looking terrified. (She's really not that weak; she's stronger than she seems.) As soon as Dad had heard Sonic's first sentence, he was looking outside, trying to figure out how he hadn't seen whatever was apparently going on on the monitor. All the while he muttered to himself, rubbing his eyes as if he was tired.

Right after Sonic had given us the news, I was shocked, but I still turned into my fighting form - or, at least, I tried to. Parts of my body flashed, but my armor and my gun wouldn't appear.

I jogged to Dr. Light, explaining (almost in tears) what was happening. I couldn't stay back while everyone else was being a hero. And it wasn't solely because of my pride. In fact, I didn't care about that. The only reason I mattered was for everyone else. They needed me.

As soon as I was done talking to my father, there was some loud noise from somewhere outside that sounded like nails on a chalkboard. We all covered our ears, closing our eyes, trying to find a way to ease the pain. It wasn't a pretty sound, but it seemed to affect Sonic really bad. He couldn't move while it went on. His hands were over his ears and he was on his knees screaming in obvious pain.

It didn't last all that long, and by the time it had ended, we didn't have enough time to figure out what was wrong with my coding. I got a glance at the window, and there was a giant blast of debris that flew in every direction. We needed to get a move on to stop the attack of the city. It didn't matter what it took.

"I'm going to take Rush and do an air attack, Dad." I told him. I didn't give him enough time to answer. I was too sure he and Roll would object. I took a few seconds to pick out a decent plain old laser from the workshop, called Rush, then went to Sonic. I helped him up, glad to see that he could still hear. When I asked him what his favorite color was, he responded with, "What the hell...?" Which was probably a good sign. I just feared what had made that sound. If someone can do something once, they can probably do the same thing twice.

Tempo was waiting by the door, her face seeming more ready for battle than boored and agitated. There was a light smile curving on her lips and her eyes were almost in a frown, as if she was saying, "what are you waiting for? Let's do this!"

"Take this." I told Sonic once we got outside. Man, that air was brisk. It was obvious that we were both trying hard to hide our shivering. Weird, because Tempo was completely unaffected. Either that, or us boys were just weak kids. "I'm going to be in the air, and this will let us communicate."

"Uh, sure," he replied, sticking the communicator in his ear. I swear, he had lost ten of those things. "But don't you usually... Have a better gun? And some armor?"

"Yeah, that's not working out right now." I replied. "Now go!"

It felt weird to be giving him orders, since he was usually the one to keep me on track, but he followed them promptly. He was away from my sight in mere seconds, running into the chaos.

I hopped onto Rush, the gun in my hand, ready. For a moment, I didn't order him to go into the air. I just looked down at him. I was scared. I could be obliterated so easily.

I shook my head and pointed my finger forward, keeping my weight shifted correctly as my dog flew up into the air, blinking as I saw the city. My vision was lying. I couldn't be seeing what I was seeing.

Every Robot Master that I had ever known was there. Splash Woman, Cloud Man, the evil Mega Man copy, Wood Man... You name the robot, it was there. Even... I shuddered as I saw them. Quick Man and Bass with his wolf, Treble, working side by side, trying to destroy the city.

A quick note on Bass: he's crazy. He screams every time someone does something he doesn't like. His wolf, Treble, is annoying and too loyal to Bass. Paired together, they'd definitely be able to make the noise that crippled Sonic. And that was something that could not happen during the fighting, or we'd lose for sure.

Things didn't look good for us. Tempo had shown up to help Sonic, but even with the three of us, we were more doomed than we ever had been before. And we had been doomed a lot in that past week.

I tried to figure out a plan other than shoot and run, but there was no plan to make with what was going on. The city was in utter turmoil. What was there to do? You fight fire with fire, chaos with chaos.