Chapter 8

Jess sat at a chair in his office at Truncheon Books, unable to escape his thoughts. He opened his bottom drawer and lifted out an ancient phone book. He pulled back its cover, his eyes falling on the subject of his search: two pictures of Rory.

The first was from many moons ago when he was lucky enough to be with her. The other was one he snapped secretly on his cell phone at Luke and Lorelai's wedding reception. The latter, he realized, may make him a stalker to some but he didn't take the photo with malicious intent. No, he just wanted to be able to memorize Rory's eyes and the easy smile that often lifted her lips. He wanted to remember the flowing dress that fit her beautifully and made her look more radiant than he'd ever seen her. He didn't know if it was the fabric—chiffon or satin?—or if the look captured in her intense blue eyes fought for attribution.

All Jess knew was, whatever the reason, he still wasn't over her.

A knock on his office door startled him. He hurriedly replaced the pictures inside the phone book and moved it back into its place in the drawer. "It's open," his deep, raspy voice called.

The door slowly opened, giving a face to his visitor. "Hey Jess, got a minute?" At Jess' nod, Brian moved deeper into the office, taking a seat in an empty chair in front of the desk.

"What's up, Brian? Please don't tell me another press is down." Jess waited for the answer, hoping that it wasn't the case. Eventually, they had to upgrade to newer equipment but he hoped that was a little ways off.

Brian smirked but shook his head. "No, I don't come here on work matters. I come here with a proposition for you."

"Oh yeah? What's that?" Jess was intrigued.

"Linda has a friend who works as a paralegal in her law firm. The friend is single, very intelligent, and is of the mindset that there just aren't any good guys left. Linda wants to know if you'd be willing to entertain such a lady on Friday evening." It was obvious that Brian was trying to put a good spin on the prospect of the blind date, probably at his wife's urging, but Jess wasn't sure he was up for it.

"I don't know man. Remember the last blind date that Mark's girlfriend set me up on? With that Abby girl? The one who mentioned loudly and repeatedly that she would rather be getting a manicure than be stuck in the four-star restaurant with my company?" Jess still couldn't get over the utter disaster of that mismatch. And why did everyone try so hard to set him up?

"Linda promised me this one would be different. Even gave scout's honor." Brian leaned forward in the chair, as if it would help sell the idea. "Come on. You haven't been out on a date in months."

Something in Jess' expression gave Brian pause. "Are you still hung up on Rory?"

Years before, not long after Brian joined the Truncheon team, he and Jess flew to California to give a sales pitch to potential investors. After the presentation, the guys went to a local dive bar, where Jess had a few too many and wound up spilling his grief about losing his chance with Rory. Brian did his best to talk Jess down but it was a commonality the two now shared. Jess knew that Brian never let on to anyone else that his heart had been broken—or how badly—but often checked in on the situation when he felt his friend could be floundering in self-pity.

"I saw her at my uncle's wedding." No other explanation was needed; Brian knew it rekindled the embers that never fully burned out.

Without a word, Brian walked behind the desk and grabbed the phone book. He opened it and found the two pictures Jess had been studying moments before. "I see you now have an updated one. I take it this was taken at the reception?" Though confirmation wasn't expected, Jess nodded. Brian turned to face his friend. "You realize that you'll never be able to let go if you keep little reminders within arm's reach, right?" He placed his hand on Jess' shoulder and gave a little squeeze. "If she was the one you were destined to be with, you wouldn't be pining away in your office for her."

Brian strode toward the door and, just before closing it, he gave Jess a gentle smile. "I'm telling Linda that Friday night is a go."