Chapter 28: The Cabin

My hands curled up into tight fist by my sides. It'd been over a week now and I hadn't recieve a call nor text over Elijah's condition. It was as if he'd vanished from the face of the world and I was left without a explanation... without a chance to say good-bye. I squeezed my eyes closed and choked back my emotions, slowly forcing myself back into the conversation at hand. Sunny had stolen the passenger seat and Carol wasdriving, both deeply engaged into a conversation of how fun the cabin was going to be. I wasn't excited, not at all. I was more irrtated then anything by the surprise trip. We weren't going far, of course not, my mom was becoming far to cautious for me to be anywhere too far out. However, the decision was obviously not mine to make anymore. My mom had agreed, a bit hesitate, but I was going anyway because I was becoming a house bunny. That was unacceptable, people at church were starting to comment on my new paler complexion. I sighed loudly biting my tongue and pressing my knees into the back of Sunny's seat.

"Come on Rainbow, at least grin a little?" Sunny sighed loudly as she twisted around in her seat to face me. "We all need this. You need to get all that off your mind, Carrie needs to get Jared off her head, and I need a escape from the rentals. A week 2 hours away on a lakefront cabin is the best thing I can think of! It'll be fun!"

But Sunny was wrong, even Carol was shooken up. The thing with Elijah had sent her over the edge just as well as it had sent me. I wasn't the only one on this car who gave a damn about the boy, he was like a brother to her and even with the break up he was still my heart. Too much was happening for me to relax now, too much. Rape, suicide... What else could go wrong? I don't know, but I knew escaping to a cabin on the damn beac wasn't going to fix anything.

"Her nickname's Carol, not Carrie. Don't call her that." I sighed and I could hear Carol doing the same, only lighter. "I don't want to lounge around in a bikini for a week. It's not how I want to spend my time."

"Then how do you want to spend it Raine? Sitting around and sulking about it isn't going to change a damn thing. I promise you that." Sunny spat turning away from me, and I could already see the perfect frown making it's way to her pouty lips. "You can't bring him back. But you can at least try to do one thing this summer, one thing that you can look back on as fun. I'm not going to let your whole summer be a waste."

"I really don't want to talk about any of this right now okay? He's not dead and he'll be fine." Carol stated loud and clear. "The only thing we can do is wait, and Raine... He'd want you to at least try to be happy okay?"

"Fine." I frowned reluctantly. "But I'm not wearing a bikini to do it."

I had reasons for not wanting to wear a bikini. The 'E' I had carved into me was now a ugly scar, and my cross was now renewed. I closed my eyes and exhaled, fighting with Sunny hadn't relieved any bits of anger that I had stored in me. I reached into my pocket and snatched out my phone, quickly checking for something- anything. But there was nothing. 

"The cabin's really pretty, you'll love it Raine. It overlooks the beach perfectly." Carol smiled, it was her uncle's place and she of course had to beg to use it. Her parent's hated asking him for anything, he looked down his nose at them because they weren't as wealthy, but Carol didn't care. She loved her uncle nonetheless, and from the looks of it he loved her enough to let her use it. "All the rooms are basically the same though, just different color schemes. There's a pool and hot tub in the back yard, a art studio... It's amazing."

And about a hour or so later, we were pulling right up to amazing. Although it was dark outside, I couldn't help but feel amazed by it all. It was made of light oak and as we stepped in, I mused at the chandelier hanging over the livingroom. The livingroom was made up of one couch that spread around the room making up 3 sides of a square, stopping right where the flatscreen stood. A giant fishtank was set up inside of the dining room. The kitchen was huge and spacious, and the backdoors slid allowing you access into the backyard that was equally stunning. Carol showed us around, introducing us to our rooms. I choose one with a a slamon and daisy yellow color scheme, Sunny went with the bright blue and lime green, and Carol picked the red and grey one. All of us retiring to bed early sicne the drive had been more then exhausting and there was a bathroom in each room, equipped with both showers and bathtubs might I add. I had a king bed in my room, a sliding door leading to the bathroom and a solid oak one leading into the studio.