t h r e e

Licking my lips I look at chocolate bars on the rack in front of the counter. The news caught my attention, "-the gun shootings in our famous downtown diner a few nights ago was such a devastation."

"Can you put it louder?" I ask the man at the counter.

He puts it louder, too paying attention to the new updates on the shooting.

"-28 dead and 6 being hospitalised. We are unsure how many women and girls would have been taken to illegal trafficking sights for the mafia gangs that took war in this diner."

"Yes, sadly we are unsure who was working that night and who was in the diner. So far, no survivors, if there are any, they haven't come to the police station to tell us further information. Measures will be taken and higher security will be placed around the state with more police cars on patrol."

"Yes, we definitely need that, John. If you missed out earlier there was a robbery on O'Connell street around the same time, we believe this was a diversion from the real attack that was happening inside the diner across town.. We will have more on the topic tomorrow night but remember for the time being stay safe and set a curfew for your children-"

"Or not let them out like me, especially with all these now mafia hangs showing up creating havoc across the state."

I put my few items on the counter and pull out some money from my purse. The cashier looks at me, "such a shame, that place was amazing."

"Yeh," I let out a breathe.

The man puts my food and necessities in a cheap plastic bag. "Stay safe," he smiles putting my change in my hand.

"Thank you," I smile putting my money into my pocket. Heading outside I take in the last few moments of heat before the harsh winter hits. I walk down the street towards the campus, I think of taking a detour and going to the police. I never called the number  Micah left on my whiteboard. It's his, I'm sure.

I'm left to wonder why he helped me that night, he had no reason to.

"Rosalie!" Someone shouts from across the road. I look to see Josiah running across the road to me. Last year when I met Josiah I formed a school girl crush on him until I saw the many girls who he was with. I sigh thinking of how Grace would react seeing me and him talk.

"Hey," I glance at him.

"All alone?" He asks, showing me his perfect teeth in his more than perfect smile.

"Needed groceries," I tell him. 

"You worked at the diner didn't you? I saw you there some nights. Sucks what happened right?"

"Yeh," I nod brushing my hair behind my ear. An arm comes around my neck dropping at my shoulder, I frown but I'm quick to realise it's not Josiah. "Hey, pretty girl," Micahs unexpected voice whispers in my ears.

He leans his body onto mine ignoring Josiah.

His arm drape over my shoulders, his hand touching my collarbone. "You are?" Micah asks looking at him.

"Josiah, you?"

"Rose's man."

"Man, huh? Grace didn't mention you had a guy the other day," Josiah says.

"Well we best be off," Micah uses his most formal language, "we have some things to take care of."

♔♔♔