Chapter 38 - recumbentibus

WARNING: A little bit of violence and gore :) 

-

It was all at once. The feeling of things being kicked off into motion. The sense of the whirring sound like the most silent tornado just entered a room. When the lights turned back on. 

"Hey beautiful." 

I looked up in dismay to see eyebrow piercings smiling down at me. 

"Hey." I plastered on a smile. 

The skin smiles but the flesh doesn't. An old Chinese proverb I never understood as a kid. 

"Thanks for the second chance?" Bryce smirked. 

It isn't the second Bryce. Nor the third. I stopped counting after five. 

But I nodded and gave him a small smile. 

Bryce was wearing a simple black mask with a red rose painted on, matching the one in his pocket. My fingers flew to the rose, inspecting its petals. 

"Is is this artificial?" 

"Yeah, I'm not spending money for a real one." he says as if its the most obvious thing ever. 

I dance mindlessly, deep in though for when Blake would send the signal as Bryce nods to several people who hollered at him. 

"Come on lets join them." 

Bryce holds my hand as he leads me to the others. 

Liv's flaming red hair was tied in a huge neat princess bun that sat atop of her head. I wouldn't have recognised her if it weren't for the colour. 

"Hey girl!" Abby gives me a half hug. No mask could hide her amazing half-shaved hairstyle. 

Killian, whom I recognised from the blue hair peeking from his mask, had his eyes widened as if he saw a ghost. . I decided to enjoy this moment as I smirked at him.

"You alright Killian?" I asked with the most innocent voice I could muster without strangling him on the spot.

"Y-y-yeah." He hesitated before stepping back. "Hey Abby, where's-" 

"Hey." Reese's voice emerged when his two arms wrapped around Abby's thin waist. 

He looked up at me and I smiled and waved mirroring my mustered innocence from before. 

Unlike Killian, his black full face mask managed to hide his expression. 

"The ballroom has a back room." Reese's voice was slightly muffled by the mask. 

"What. Why?" asked Anderson skeptically. 

"Probably for weddings." Reese said hesitantly already pulling Abby by the hand. 

There was a subtle frown on our faces at Reese's behaviour. 

As we entered the room, a musky scent filled the air. The loud thud of a slammed door brought us all into a pitch black silence. 

"What the fuck?!" Bryce yelled instantly letting go of my hand leaving me alone in the darkness. 

Instantly, my other hand was grabbed by a familiar one. Only one person that could make electrical sparks in a room completely devoid of it. 

The only sounds were muffled screams, metal on cement and lastly, the click of a lock that silenced us all. 

The lights flashed on revealing Reece, Killian, Abby, Bryce, Anderson and Liv all tied up in metal chairs in a circle. Liv's wild hair was strung up in curls, her bun obviously undone. Abby, blinking from the shock of the light, had a fierce expression on out of reflex, her teeth bared and her brows in a deep frown. Reese seemed to be the only one who was calm, then again, he was the only one who wasn't yet unmasked. I squinted before noticing two extra chairs in a corner, two guys who seemed to be sleeping (probably drugged) in them with bags over their heads.