Chapter 18 - Records

"You've got everything?"

I pulled the car door shut. "For the last time, Kingston, I didn't bring anything with me."

Gabriel raised an eyebrow. "Then where's your wig?"

"My—" I smacked my hand against my scalp, where sure enough, it was only the thin strands of my real hair.

I turned to glare daggers at Gabriel, who was snickering to himself as he reversed.

"Really?" I demanded. "You couldn't have said something while we were leaving the room? While we were walking out from the lobby?"

"You were so insistent that you had everything," Gabriel said, grinning, "how could I pop that bubble? Do you want to go get it?"

I huffed, folding my arms. "Leave it, it's not like it'll matter if Officer Louws checks that hotel now."

Gabriel glanced at me quickly. "Not that you should be sunshine and rainbows during this time, but are you okay? You're kind of mopey."

I made a flippant noise. "I'm fine. I am completely fine."

It's not like I realised I'm in love with you and your stupid face or anything.

"Are we heading to the post office?" I asked.

"We sure are." Gabriel dug through his pocket. "Hold on, phone buzzing."

I snatched it from his hand. "No driving and calling. I'll answer it." The screen read Officer Fern. "Wait, it's probably for me anyway. Hello?"

"You alright, Loosh?" Dad said immediately, as if he had expected me to pick up.

"Yeah, I'm still alive, at least," I replied. I scrubbed the back of my hand over my eyes. "Have you received any news about Jules?"

"He's in stable condition," Dad assured. "He hasn't woken yet, but he will. Try not to worry too much."

As if that was possible.

"How's everything else?" I asked. As we drove closer to town, the streets started getting fuller with tourists, and even if I couldn't hear their conversations, I knew that they were buzzing with excitement. They had heard about the attack on my house. The news of a multiple homicide investigation was spreading.

Bottle Island had, once again, become an island of death, and the tourists were treating it like an immersive amusement park experience.

"That's what I'm calling about," Dad said. "Louws is seeing some sense. We can't spare any of the police force to chase an unconfirmed lead, otherwise known as you, so it's time to come out of hiding."

I blinked. "Really?"

"Really," Dad said. A sluuurp sounded through the line, and I could practically see him taking a sip of some extra strong coffee. "Believe it or not, we're working off a potential victim list that Douglas Louws worked out. We have two officers protecting each name, and the only people still left out in the open are you and Gabriel."

I cast a sidelong glance at Gabriel, checking if he had heard what Dad said. He gave me a small nod to tell me he had.

"Where are you right now?" I asked. "The hospital?"

Dad made an affirmative noise. "Taking statements slowly but surely. Get here now, Luca, I have officers waiting for you."

I grimaced. "I'll be over in an hour."

"Excuse me?" Dad said. "Luca, you were the one who convinced us all that there was another literal serial killer on the loose, you should know how serious this is."