Chapter 14

Step-mother's POV

"Elijah is my mate." I learned something interesting. I had to admit, I was not expecting that. But as soon as the words left Cyrus's mouth, I felt anger boil inside of me. That stupid boy was the one in the way of my plans.

I stepped back, watching the alpha and his son leave. The Alpha once again thanked me for my cooperation. Cyrus, though, glared at me, using his Alpha bloodline to tower over me. Once more, I smiled. Though, my smiles weren't actually smiles. They were nothing more than a forced muscle movement.

After they left, I followed behind, just in time to see them run off into the woods behind the house. Looking for that boy, I assume... I turned back, hoping to find a way to stop them, when luck finally came my way as Eli stepped out of the woods. He was obviously trying to sneak in, but failed as he came in direct contact with me.

He staggered back, eyes wide. Before he could speak, I grabbed hold of his arm, throwing him into the basement.  "You are obviously trying to avoid something. Aren't you, Eli?"

"I-"

"I bet it's that boy, Cyrus. Your... Mate?" Eli paled and I smirked, my "guess" being correct. "If you're so keen on getting away from him, you can just stay here forever. I'm sure Eve or Adalynn will be happy to take your place." He said nothing as I moved back up the stairs, slamming and locking the door behind me. Not soon after, I could hear sobs coming from behind the door.

I almost laughed. Almost. But I didn't, not wanting to take precious time away from putting my plan in place. I glanced back once more at the basement door. Maybe that boy will be of some use after all.