The Fate Night

Hermione was laughing her lungs out. It seemed like ages since she'd last laughed that way. Was Draco's wicked sense of humour rubbing off on her?

"You actually asked Nott to launch a bludger at her?!! That's just mean!"

"No, Granger. That's just Quidditch nerves, but you know luckily McGonagall had charmed the commentators podium to repel bludgers. So no harm done."

"Luckily? Hermione snorted. "One would think you'd feel lucky if the bludger had met it's mark."

"No, Granger. I may be prideful, but I'm not violent", he said affronted.

"Yeah right."

"Fine, I concede. I'm only as violent as you're arrogant", he taunted.

"What? I'm arrogant?" she asked incredulously.

"Oh no. It's me Granger, Professor. I know the answer to everything. Please award me House points," he said, hand shot up in the air, hopping up and down, doing a dramatic but close imitation of Hermione in class. And then, looked at her as if challenging her to contradict what he'd just said.

"Okay, okay. I may be a bit of a show off but I'm not arrogant."

Draco smirked. "Same difference, Granger. Here's our stop."

He had been walking her to her dorm like a proper gentleman.

"Oh, yes. Here's your coat", she said, slightly disappointed that the evening had come to an end. He had lend her his coat since it was a chilly evening.

"Let me help you", he offered helping her and while he was, his fingers brushed her bare shoulders ever so slightly, sending a tingle through her spine and a jolt of current through Draco's nerves. Their eyes met, stormy grey and chocolate brown, sending a wordless acknowledgement to each other, but neither of them would lay down their ego and accept it.

Unbeknownst to them, a red-headed boy was hiding behind the statue and watching them with jealous eyes. He had sealed his fate the day he made the bet, just like he had sealed theirs. But he wasn't going to just let it slide. Not if he could have a say.

***************************

When Hermione walked into the Heads' common room, Harry and Ginny were waiting for her in a very compromising position. They were glued together in a way it was hard to tell who was who.

She felt awkward as well as a pang of jealousy. They were perfect for each other. Their conversations and even their bodies fit perfectly together. Hermione and Ron had never shared that kind of chemistry. Thinking back, Ron was a sloppy kisser and far from being able to hold a conversation with her.

In fact, the only person who had ever been able to keep up with her conversation was Draco. She shook herself out of her reverie, not wanting to think of those alluring silver eyes.

"Ahem. Sorry for interrupting you guys", she said not wanting to intrude on their privacy any further, "But the common room is not the most private place in Hogwarts."

Ginny separated herself from Harry and rolled her eyes unabashedly, "What a stroke of genius Hermione. We just could not have figured that out without the Brightest Witch of our Time".

"Oh come off it", said Hermione ignoring the comment. She knew she had interrupted a happy moment but she wanted some bloody decorum maintained in the common room.

"Harry, thanks for the cloak and the map by the way. Didn't need it much, though. Where's Ron?" She asked.

"Hermione, Ron is in the Gryffindor common room where we left him. Why do you ask?" Harry enquired.