Chapter Four;

Alaina admired herself in the stained looking glass once her ladies finished getting her ready for the evening event. A Goddess dressed in white silk with gold embroidery along the hems and up the skirt as well as on her bodice. Her chocolate brown hair left loose, yet still pinned back to keep from falling into her beautiful face.

She smiled at the woman looking back at her and ran a long slender finger over the sapphires that hung around her neck. Truly radiant, she thought as she turned to examine how the gown framed her slender waistline. "I believe I have never looked better." 

"Do not say such things, Majesty," Anne reappeared dressed in silver, much as the rest of Alaina's ladies were accustomed to do. "You always look so breathtaking."

"Thank you, Anne," she turned from the mirror to look at the German lady. "I shall keep that in mind." 

"Your majesty, they await your arrival," Alaina turned to see a young man, his hair a deep shade of brown tied back with a blue ribbon. She nodded her head, acknowledging the man and then turned to her ladies. 

"Come," she said to them, summoning them into a straight line, side by side so she could give them a quick look over before they went down to join the rest. "Chin up, Maria," she said as she forced the youngest lady to hold her head up high. "Remember, you are to be on your best behavior. You are my ladies and will see to it that you do not allow anyone to question how I rule my people, do you hear me?"

"Yes your majesty," they all said. 

"With that said," she brought her hands together and smiled, "Do enjoy yourselves, and perhaps take the time to find yourself husbands. I know it would be painful to lose either one of you ladies, but it is supposed to be my duty, as your sovereign ruler, to find you all suitable husbands."

"Do not fear, my Queen, I do believe none of us will fall for any French man. They're too barbaric." 

"Are they Maria?" Anne turned to look down her nose at the youngest. "I assumed French men were more to your liking. They are much like you after all." 

"Are you trying to say Spaniards are barbaric? Have you forgotten that you Queen is of Spanish decent?" 

Alaina inhaled deeply, doing her best to remain calm and not go off on either one of her ladies. She turned to her other two ladies and beckoned for them to follow her, leaving behind the angry Spaniard and German to quarrel until either one realized they had been left behind. 

It would not take them long, Anne was quick to notice before Maria, but she would offer a few words of advice to the young girl before they hurried on after their queen. 

"Her Majesty, Queen Alaina!" 

Alaina, followed by Natalie and Jane, entered a large room filled with the entire French court and other noblemen and women that had hurried to court once word reached them of Alaina's arrival. 

"Your majesty, it is an honor to have you here at court," a man dressed in his finest approached the Queen taking her hand in his to press his lips gently to it. 

"Lord Narcisse," she pulled her hand back from his grip and peered at the old nobleman. "I've heard things, it is a great wonder that you have been allowed in my presence." 

"Forgive me, your majesty, if I have offended you-"

Alaina sighed, "No," she then smiled at the elder man. "You have not, but you have your sovereign king. While I am here, I would most like to call upon you to discuss exactly what your King has done to deserve such disobedience from his subject." She bowed her head, dismissing him before turning to search for the King she had been speaking of.