Fourty Two • Fire

The sun was setting low in an orange haze, over the rolling hills. Off in the distance, you could hear the call of wild animals as they prepared for night to fall. As the sky faded into a dusty grey, you trudged your way back to the small camp, and a warm fire.

The air was more chilling than it was before. During the day the sun had warmed your back and gave a sort of comfort.

The mountain terrain around you seemed to darken as the cries of the wild roared at you from the darkness just beyond where you could see. Pulling Poppy's scarf tighter around your neck you worked your way though the bracken to  the light. A cold breeze rolled through as the dead air around you picked up.

Breaking to a jog, you rushed to a glow out in the short distance to the open field.

Breaking through to the clearing you remembered that you had completely forgot how to return to the gully you had woken up in that morning. A nervous chill stuck you at the thought of the creatures you had carelessly left behind.

In the cleaning was a massive blaze surrounded by two outlines of massive winged beasts. One of which was the same opaline dragon who had brought you there.

"W-what's going on here?" You stuttered as the two massive scaled beings spun to face you.

"Vile creature. Why haven't you ridded yourself of it." The other, new dragon hissed with a hint of malice and contempt.

"I'm not killing her." The dragon you knew hissed in response.

"I only want to learn from you. Your kind. I wish you no harm." You replied in Parcelmouth.

"She speaks serpent tongue, odd witch, she is." The blue toned dragon said with a huff.

"A strong witch I was told. That man who came to get get those creatures said so." The silvery white dragon spoke with slight pride.

"I'm not much of one now. I have no wand to concentrate magic now. But... you met Newt?" You fumbled.

"That was his name? Scamander is all we know him as. A good for nothing collector, he is." The dragon spat with whisps of smoke rolling out of his massive flared nostrils.

"Well. You're nothing but a good for nothing, oversized lizard." You spat under your breath, making sure to not say it in Parceltongue.

"I don't trust her kind." The blue toned beast growled as they arched their back, ready to pounce.

"Do not lay a claw on her. She is but a scholar, wanting to learn our ways. Our history even." The silver dragon hissed to his companion.

"A witch has no place among dragons. Keep that in mind, girl."

"I will, thank you. But don't fret on my behalf. I can get by, that's what I'm good at." You replied.

You would have to prove your worth, not only for yourself, but to prove to Newt and Poppy you hadn't gone insane. Being out in the mountains was worth the struggle. You would prove it.

___

I've come to realize that you can't talk to dragons with Parceltongue but just go with it for the sake of the story.  Anyways stay chill, and thanks.

What is one magic ability you wish you had? I wish I could move things without touching them like using the force, then I wouldn't have to get off my bed so much! =]