Survivors

*Warning: This chapter might suck because I'm horrible at writing action-y scenes. This chapter might have a Hunger Games feel to it, just saying. And there will be a lot of cut scenes, because I'm afraid I will bore you to death and/or I will not make any sense whatsoever. Also, my updating schedule really needs to be modified. *sigh*

THERE'S MORE. Um, yeah. I haven't said this before, but it's currently the third week of November in the story, a couple days away from Thanksgiving. So... Yeah.

---------------------------------

Chapter 8 | Survivors

Handling it meant that we would all go to the Zombie Hunt separately and meet up somewhere. I stuck with Reece since bad boys and loners weren't too far apart on the social ladder. Not many people would suspect a thing.

But holy crap.

The place where the event would take place was bustling with at least sixty people, more or less. And the area itself was pretty big: a couple reserved streets, along with a wide field, and a small forest right behind it. The committee and volunteers were already helping out by getting everyone ready. They gave all the survivors some loaded water guns since looking for them ourselves would be a pain. The ones who decided to be zombies were given a makeover, so we could easily differentiate them from the others.

The actual game would be starting in around ten minutes, giving Reece and I to slip next to Lizzy without getting too many odd looks. I glanced over at the stand where Kate and Luke would be getting their makeovers. They were close to the front of the line, with Kate bouncing ever so happily. I ran my fingers through my black hair, not bothering to talk because my nerves were running all over the place. Anyone could see us together.

After a few minutes, I felt my side get gently nudged, causing me to raise an eyebrow at Reece. His shocking blue eyes met mine for a brief second before locking on someone in front of us. I turned to see who it was.

What the absolute hell? Maria was like a chronic disease. Coming back -- from who knows where -- over and over again, especially to us. The Queen Bitch was standing there, looking out of place more than ever.

Being at the Zombie Hunt made me confident as ever, so I stupidly decided to call her over, "Maria!" Her head snapped up, looking around for the source of the voice before her muddy brown eyes landed on me. Once she realized that I was the one who called her name, the glaring begun. And as usual, I ignored it. "Lost or what?"

Maria walked over to us, almost gracefully tripping over a rock. "No, I'm not lost." She hotly retorted, her cheeks tinging with even more pink.

"Alright..." I trailed off. "You sure you didn't hit your head on the way here?" From a slight distance away, I could hear Lizzy coughing to cover up her laugh. I then noticed that both Reece and Lizzy moved slightly away so Maria wouldn't see us as a group.

"I'm actually going to participate in this event!" Maria commented defiantly, pointing her finger at me, "And guess what? I'm going to be a survivor!"

I glanced down, noting her footwear. At least she was sensible enough to not wear heels, but flats? They're like devils-in-training. I nudged Maria's pastel pink flats, which I'm sure Kate would've liked, with my own sneakers and said, "You still have time to change your shoes. You do know that, right? I don't want you tripping, it'll make the damage worse."

She gaped at me, her eyes ten times larger than before. Eventually, Maria huffed and walked away. I watched her retreating figure as two announcers came out in the middle of the crowd, throwing everyone excited smiles.