Intrepid

"You sure you don't want one?" She waves her home-made cigarette in my direction; it's stunning how she still feels the need to ask, even though she watched me move to the corner of the couch as soon as I saw smoke in the air.

"No, thanks though," I try to smile but I'm sure I'm just making a painful grimace. I remember promising myself I wouldn't become friends with 'dangerous' people when I got into university, moved to Chicago and pledged a fraternity. Oddly, none of those have anything to do with the fact that I'm sitting in this girl's living room, looking at her as she smokes.

"Relax," She says, way too casually for my liking. "It's just weed."

"Just weed? Just weed?" I want to start a fight with her, again, but I know it wouldn't get me anywhere. I never got anywhere with this girl. Being 'friends' or whatever the hell we are isn't getting me anywhere, hell, even knowing her is getting me nowhere.

"Well it's not cocaine or anything," She looks at me like I'm mad. Jesus Christ. "It's like a sleeping pill."

"Yeah, a box of sleeping pills I'd say," I smirk but she doesn't acknowledge my words at all. What was I expecting anyway, a reaction from her? How silly of me.

"You have another question or are we done with this?" She puts out her joint for the fifth time tonight, and looks up at me. Even though she's almost done with it, she shows no side effects; I can still recall the first time I had a joint, pulled on it once, that is. And I was in a ten times worse state than she is in right now.

Can she seriously be this raw? And not only when it comes to this smoking thing. I thought she wouldn't be able to surprise me after that night when we met, but to this day she hasn't ceased to amaze me. I thought she'd get over her mystification once she got to know me, but I guess I was wrong about that too.

I also thought I couldn't be attracted to someone like her. Someone with such a dark personality for a reason unknown to me, not to forget that I only know a few basic facts about her, after weeks of seeing her nonstop.

But here I am, for the who knows which time on the couch in her living room, staring at the side of her head. Trying to figure her out. Solve the riddle. And yet, no matter how persistent I am and how badly I want to put the puzzle together, I'm still stuck at two pieces. Which is what brought us to this game of '20 questions', that is also getting me nowhere. It just extends the already never-ending list.

"Angel?" I call, causing her to look away from the TV and back at me. At least she pays attention. "I actually do have a question."

"I'm all ears," She says in the most bored tone ever, but somehow I know she cares for what I have to say. In her own weird way, she cares.

"What do you fear most?"

At my somewhat childish question, she smiles and looks down. In all honesty, I thought we were going to have to stay there all night, that she wouldn't find an answer until the sun comes out. But to my surprise, she looks back up at me within seconds, the smile I grew to love no longer adorning her face.

"Myself."

*******

hiiiii this is my most original creation yet and i hope you'll like it :) the story is mostly going to be from Niall's POV, just like this snippet thing. and the girl, Angel, is played by Kaya Scodelario :D happy reading! x