Chapter 11: Mika..?

"Don't move."

   'Am I being kidnapped? But the mission...!'

   I shove with all my might against the arms encircling me from behind.

   'Someone help...Ran!'

   "Turn around slowly."

   'That voice...'

   I do as I'm told and slowly turn around...then let out a cry of shock when the hand is free from my mouth.

   "Ran?!"

   "Haha! Did I give ya a surprise?" Ran asks with a hearty laugh.

   "Surprise? You nearly gave me a heart attack!" I shout frowning. I rub my arms and look at the ground "I thought it might be someone trying to interfere with our mission..." I mutter.

   'He really scared me!' I place a hand over my quickly beating heart and take a deep breath.

   "Sorry, sorry!" He says with a soft smile before slowly bending down and placing a gentle kiss to my cheek. My heart immediately started pounding and my face burned. "Morning, Edith." Ran says softly, his warm breath hitting my burning cheek. He stands up straight with his smile still resting on his pale cheeks. His gaze makes my cheeks burn hotter than before.

   "M-morning.." I reply quietly. I don't even know what to say when I see his broad grin. "Gimmie a break..." I sigh with a smile.

   "An affectionate kiss is an okay way to say hello, don't ya think?" Ran asks, his smile never faltering. "I won't do it on the lips again. I'll hold off on that until you fall in love with me. And when you do, you'll be the one kissing me!" Ran chuckles.

   "Ran..."

   'I guess he's really remorseful about that kiss back then.' I smile at the thought. 'He really cares for me, doesn't he..? He's considering my feelings. Well, maybe that's a normal thing to do, but it still makes me happy..'

My heart throbs in my chest as I smile back at him. "I'm still not completely sure how I feel about you, yet..." I say with a sigh.

   "I'll definitely make ya fall for me!" Ran says putting his hands on his hips proudly.
I giggle at his stature and shake my head.

   "Where do you get unfounded confidence?" I ask.

   "Don'tcha think my optimism is one of my best qualities?" He asks with a smirk.
I laugh at his silly face before putting on another smile.

   "I do."

   We walk down the corridor together, Ran's arm around my shoulders.

~~~~~~~~~~~

   "Edith!" Kaito calls when I walk through the threshold with Ran.

   "Kaito? What's wrong?" I ask slightly worried. Kaito runs up to me with a smile.

   'Well, maybe there's nothing wrong then.' When Kaito gets to us, he grins and raises an eyebrow.

   "What's this?" He chuckles. I tilt my head in confusion before remembering that Ran had his arm wrapped around my shoulders. My ears burn just at the thought and Ran let's his arm fall back to his side. Kaito laughs.

   "I'm just joking, Edith." He says.

   "What did you want to say to me?" I ask curiously.

   "Oh! You won't believe what Yayoi said to me last night! It was kind of weird actually..."

   "What do you mean, weird?" Ran asks.

   "Well, last night he came up to me while I was picking up and he said he was going back to the spring village." Kaito explains.

   "Really?" Ran asks, a surprised look on his face.

   "Why'd he say that?" I ask. Kaito simply shrugs.

   "He didn't tell me that, but he did tell me to take his place." Kaito smiles again.

   "Really?! You get to come?!" I ask excitedly. Kaito chuckles and ruffles my hair with his big palm.

   "Sure do!" He says making me giggle. I shove his hand off my head and attempt to fix my hair.

   "Oh, does Mika know?" I ask, again tilting my head to the side.

   "I'm not sure. Why don't you go find her?" Kaito replies. I smile and glance up at Ran. He's simply grinning down at me and nods. I smile before running off to find my cousin.

   "Be right back you guys!" I shout.

---

   I notice Mika coming out of her room with sleepy eyes and disheveled hair. She yawns and rubs her tired orbs before even noticing me. I run up to her with a grin.

   "Oh my gosh, Mika guess what?!" I say excitedly.

   "What?" Mika asks, yawning again soon after.

   "Kaito gets to come with us to the winter village! Isn't that great?!" I ask with a spring in my step.

   "Yeah..." Mika smiles, but it seems almost forced. 'She must really be tired.'

   "I heard that Yayoi left really late last night. Now that he's gone, the trip will be so much easier!" I sigh dramatically. 'Yayoi was always such a stick in the mud. I feel like it'll be much easier to travel with Kaito rather than him.' "I can't wait to spend some time with Shiroya and Kaito on the road! It'll be so much fun!"

   'I'm getting excited just thinking about it.'

   I notice Mika's expression turn slightly sour at my words.

   "I'm sure it will be!" Mikaela suddenly snaps. My smile drops from my face and I tilt my head to the side. 'What's wrong?'

   "Mika..?" I ask, now worried that I said something to anger my cousin. Mika inhales then sighs heavily before pushing past me, keeping her tired eyes trained in the ground.

   "I'll make us some tea.." she mumbles.

   "I messed up..didn't I..?"