72: pastry delight

IT'S REALLY NOT ENOUGH. Not any of it. Not even her friends can replace that sudden feeling of loss in Camila.

    "It's not even something to get worked up about," she tells herself, as she gets dressed. "People have felt a lot worse over an actual relationship."

    Even though her rationale is as sound as ever, she can't divert her attention elsewhere. When Elle and Jeremy are around, she bites her tongue. He's not worth talking about, he's really not.

    She's spent the night at the hotel, in Elle's room, as Roma hasn't yet arrived. Elle's always been a heavy sleeper, and there's no chance of her waking up before eleven. Lucky for Elle, Camila has to go down and prepare for a showcase today.

    After buying breakfast for them and setting it down on Elle's bedside, Camila steps outside in the balcony for a second.

    It's cold. Really cold. The wind nips at her cheeks, and she's always been a warm-weather sort of girl but Camila loves the scenery change. It's almost inspiring in a way. Though she prefers the soft mix of suburbia thrown in here and there, she's already accustomed to the city.

    Climbing back in, she leaves a note for Elle, takes her things, and goes on her way. She makes a note to send Julien a ticket to her program. They've been steadily texting but she's reluctant.

    "Cam!"

    "Jeremy? Why are you up? Hi Matt," she greets them. They're in the lobby, having just walked in, shaking cold off of their bones.

    "Hey," Matt says. He leans in for a hug, which Camila meets with a little squeeze. "How's the music jig going?"

    "It's great. I heard it's great with you guys."

    "Yeah! We were just at—"

    Before Matt can continue, Jeremy cuts in, grabbing the bag of pastries in her hand. "Is this for us? Thank you, I'm starved."

    "I already got you guys some. They're upstairs. This one's for my quartet," Camila says, but lets him have his pick.

    Matt says his goodbyes and Jeremy gives her a sly grin. "Spotify Headquarters. Live."

    "No way." Camila gives him a little pinch. "Is that the secret?"

    Jeremy shrugs, like it's nothing. "This band really wasn't going anywhere back home so we're moving here to New York. I mean, LA has the studios but not enough gigs, you know?"

    Elated, Camila jumps up and down. "Anyways, gotta dash. Meet you guys back here for dinner, okay?"

    "Rightie. Have fun, Cam," Jeremy says.

    In a few days, she'll be set to perform. On her walk back to her dorm, Camila calls her parents, knowing that they miss her dearly. It's a good place to be right now, despite a sudden hitch in her plans. But it's good. It has to be.