Chapter Eleven

Chapter 11

Arabella Baine

I woke up to a very empty feeling in my chest. Rubbing my eyes awake, I searched the bed for Rylan. He’d usually have me wake him up every morning. A shadow formed right in front of the window, where the sun light usually shone through. I casted my eyes over the window and saw him there.

Slowly, I stood up and walked over to him. “Good morning,” I whispered, hugging him from the back.

“Morning,” he grumbled, looking at my face before flickering his eyes down onto my pants. I followed his gaze and gasped.

“Who…?” I remembered wearing my faded blue jeans yesterday.

“I did,” he laughed lightly, pecking my forehead. “The maids had already retired to bed. I didn’t want to bother them. Also, I couldn’t sleep next to you when you’re practically…. You know,” he gulped, his eyes turning into a darker shade of blue. “I need to go attend to some pack business.” He took a big gulp and ran out of the room as fast as he can.

My mouth hung open in shock at what just happened. Was he having his crazy mood swings again? Shaking off all of the negativity, I headed for the bathroom and cleaned myself up. Surprisingly, my wounds healed. My werewolf blood was starting to grow stronger and stronger. My senses are slowly changing; it’s becoming more enhanced and intense.

In the werewolf world, the shifters who mate with humans were looked down upon. That was the main reason why he hated me the most. Humans were deemed as weak and unworthy of living. He hated me for being so weak. I hated myself too. There was never a time in which I wished I would’ve been blessed with the ability to shift.

The day passed by as usual. I took part in the daily chores. I walked over to Jake’s room, the last room till lunch time. As always, his room was tidy and only required the trash to be picked up.

“Bells,” he whispered from behind me.

“Hey Jake,” I smiled while placing a new trash bag into his bin.

“I’ve heard that you and the Alpha are getting a bit close lately… Too close,” he murmured to himself. I raised my brows at his choice of words. What was h getting at?

“I guess we are…” I whispered to myself, knowing he’d hear it anyway.

“Why?” He sighed frustratingly. “He has done nothing but hurt you from the start. Why Arabella?” I flinched at the tone of his voice and at the usage of my whole name.

“I…” I didn’t know what to say. Would Rylan get angry at me revealing our true relationship? That we were mates?

“You what? You’re willing to become the Alpha’s whore just to gain more power?” He stared at me accusingly, his brown eyes turning darker. “Are you really that low?”

Involuntarily, my hand collided with his face. A smack rang across the room, deafening me for a second or two. “You don’t know anything about me!”

“Why yes I do. I know more than Rylan does. I know that you’re one of the weakest and looked down upon werewolves in our world. Or wait! You can’t even shift to begin with,” his voice was deep and I knew his wolf has taken over. He stepped back a moment after his words finally sunk in. “Shit… I.”

“It’s okay,” I blinked rapidly, trying to get rid of the tears. I gulped down the heaviness of the lump in my throat. “I get it now,” I gave him one more smile before walking away.

The rest of the day was uneventful. I spent half of lunch time in the kitchen, preparing food for Rylan. I needed to get my mind off of Jake. Just when I thought I’ve found a real friendship in someone… This happens! I should’ve known.