Chapter 24

Axton POV

I sat back in my chair as I hold onto Ellie's waist. Ellie leans her back against me as I try to focus on her heartbeat.

She would have died in my arms, I think as the image I had been dreaming about for so many years flashes across my eyes.

She's safe. She's here now, Knox tries to reassure himself and me, Mate and pup are both safe and they are going to stay that way, he growls out. I know my wolf well enough that he is still thinking about Cortez.

The room has gone silent as they all start to file out. Michael stares at Jade as he follows her out of the room in longing. It's the same longing gaze I looked at Ellie with when she first got here. I can't believe it's only been a few weeks.

I feel Ellie's hand move up my arm and she leans her head back to look at me.

Are you alright? She asks me through our mate bond.

I smile at our connection being completely restored.

I'm alright, sweetheart, I tell her.

Promise me? You're not mad about what Michael did? She sounds shocked.

I give her a light smile, I will always be angry with him for taking you away from me.

But he did it to protect his mate. He protected me and Zea.

I know, I tell her, squeezing her waist gently as I nuzzle into her neck. She lets out a sigh of content as I breathe in her scent.

I feel her tense under me for a second, causing me to lift my eyes to her face. I can see her biting her bottom lip, nervously. Her tell-tale sign that she wants to ask me something, "What is it, sweetheart?"

"What?" She asks, seeming shocked as I lightly chuckle at her reaction. She never even registers when she bites her lip when she wants to ask something or when she shuffles her feet when she is nervous or when she subconsciously licks her lips. I never comment or tell her about every movement or gesture she makes, because I love them. They tell me exactly how she is feeling and what she wants. If I tell her, she will stop doing them.

"You want to ask me something. Don't you?"

"I just don't want to make you more upset if I bring it up," she mumbles as she plays with my hand.

Moving her quickly, I shift her body around so she is straddling my lap. I move my hands to her lower back, and she rests her forehead against mine, "Ask me."

She looks into my eyes as she places her hands around my neck, "The attack that Michael had seen, where I died," she starts but stops for a second when I growl at the mere thought of her dead.

"I'm sorry," I apologize. She nods her head in acceptance before she continues.

"When I had made it to Madden's pack, right before Zea was born, I didn't hear about any rogue attacks here. If I was destined to die during that attack if I was here, I want to know when it happened?"

"Why?" I ask her, unsure of why she wants to know about that.

"Because I want to know how long it was safe to come back and I never did," her voice cracks as she looks sadly into my eyes before looking down again. I can feel her pain through the bond, and I know it is a reflection of my own.

"Listen to me," I put my hands on each side of her face and I bring her eyes to meet mine, "If I had to choose between being together for four years and losing you or being apart for seven and having the rest of our lives together, I will never have you make a different choice."