Chapter 31

Ellie POV

"Surprise," Rolfe says as he twists the knife he had stabbed Axton with.

I growl as he moves closer to my mate, but it comes out as nothing more than a whimper, "Axton."

Axton growls at Rolfe as he clutches Rolfe's hand around the hilt of the knife. He twists the knife deeper into him but also twists Rolfe's arm until he is forced to let go.

Axton shoves him back into the wall as he pulls the knife out quickly, dropping it onto the floor.

"Traitor," he growls out before shifting into his gigantic wolf. He stands protectively in front of me as Rolfe pushes himself off the wall and shifts too.

With one last growl, they charge at each other. They snap at each other's necks as Rolfe pushes his paw into Axton's side. Axton lets out a whine before twisting from the pain. Rolfe gains the upper hand as he chucks Axton into the wall that he just got up from.

Axton immediately gets up and jumps onto Rolfe's back.

Using my free hand that Axton had untied, I free my other arm, being careful not to move the already broken bone too fast. After I finally yank the chain off, I move to the clasps around my feet. I focus my attention on the claps on the latches to get free. I almost don't notice Rolfe as he throws Axton into me.

My head connects with the ground as everything becomes a little blurry for a few seconds. Axton growls out again as he whines next to me. He is laying on his side. I can feel that he has at least two broken ribs, or maybe those are my broken ribs. His pain is running through our bond, but I need him to focus on not giving up, "Axton, get up."

Pushing off the group, Axton jumps onto Rolfe again. Rolfe pushes him off and Axton knocks into my chair.

Luckily, when Axton slams into my seat, the restraints around my ankles breaks open. Wincing, I move toward Axton as I watch him push himself back up off the ground. My hand hits the metal of a knife, cutting my palm as I try to move closer to Axton.

His eyes look directly at me as if he is soaking me in. For that split second, I am back at his birthday party, standing in his kitchen when our eyes first met.

He turns again to face Rolfe as Axton lets out another growl before charging straight at him. But instead of going for his throat, Axton shifts at the last second and swipes Rolfe with his claws along the side. Rolfe releases a small howl of pain and they start circling each other.

I can feel my eyes lose focus as I feel blood seeping down my face.

I slammed my head against the ground, I remind myself as I feel the darkness coming for me.

A growl draws my attention to the door, but it isn't Rolfe or Axton.

Cortez stands there as he waits for Rolfe to win or a chance to catch Axton off guard.

Rolfe moves to grab Axton's back paw, but Axton is smarter than that. He shifts slightly, throwing Rolfe off balance before sinking his teeth into Rolfe's neck. He bites harder before finally hearing the snap.

Grabbing the knife into my hand, I push myself off the ground as Cortez growls towards Axton, "This wouldn't have happened if your mate will have just given me what I want."

Axton growls as he focuses on Cortez. Rolfe's blood and his own covers his coat.

Cortez just smiles at him, "I guess I will kill you first then."

He goes to step up to Axton, but I beat him there. He gives me a look of surprise as I push the knife into his chest. His face contorts in pain as he pulls back half a step.

Axton moves around me, growling lowly at Cortez. Cortez looks like he is about to shift, but Axton stops him as his teeth sinks into Cortez's neck, killing him.

He's finally dead, I tell Raelynn, Cortez is finally gone.

Mate saved us, she says. I can almost see her wolfish smile.

I smile at that as Axton stands in front of us. I lift my hand to touch him, but my body collapses beneath me.

I feel the cold ground before warmth flows through my body. Axton picks me up and holds me against him, "Baby, stay with me."

"You found me," I say, smiling even though my voice barely breaks a whisper.

He smiles back down at me, "I would find you anywhere."

"I'm so tired," I tell him as the torture and blood loss finally reach me.

"I know baby, but I need you to keep your eyes open," he tells me, almost pleading.

"Zea," I try to ask, but the words don't seem to be coming out.

"She's fine. She's safe with Sawyer and the pack," Axton tells me.

I smile at him, "Keep her safe."

"We will, together."

"Axton," I whimper as the pain in my body screams out, "I love you."

"Ellie, look at me," he tells me as he places one of his hands onto my cheek, "Stay awake, okay? You are not going anywhere."

"Just say it back," I plead to him.

He gives me a soft smile as he leans closer to me, "I love you, always."

I give him as big of a smile as my body allows and I nod slightly. My eyes feel heavier as I start to see black specks at the outskirts of my vision, "Can we go home now? I just want to go home."

He gives me a light smile as he pulls me closer to his chest, "We're going home baby, don't worry. I'm bringing you home."

All I see is his beautiful eyes before the darkness finally takes me.