Chapter 18

"You need to stop talking about him, Autumn." Luke told me from his upside down position on the side of my bed. I glanced at him once then continued shuffling with the things on my desk. It seems that when I left for college I hadn't exactly tidied up and had actually left my room pretty messy.

"It's hard not to." I sighed. I twisted side to side in my swivel chair as I organized the things in front of me. "When something that big happens all I want to do is rant about it." I explained.

"Then try not to rant about it." His voice was muffled from not being able to talk properly since he was upside down, so it took me a little longer to actually process what he was saying.

"I would if I could." I said, slightly irritated from his lack of understanding. I didn't blame him though as I didn't really understand why I myself was so hung up on it all. I wanted to push it away and forget about it, but it caused me enough emotional distress and really had an impact on me that I couldn't exactly forget about it.

"How about we do something to get your mind off of it?" He asked. He sat up and rolled over onto his stomach with his chin in his hands, watching me intently. I spun my chair to where I faced him and stared back.

"Like what?" I furrowed my eyebrows at him in curiosity than anything else. He seemed unpredictable lately. It's not that he was going off the rails, he was just becoming a bit more adventurous than I was used to.

"I don't know." He shrugged his shoulders and dropped his hands from his face. I watched as he laced his own fingers together and shifted closer towards my direction.

"That's a lot of help." I joked, half smiling at him. I stretched my legs out and slumped back into my chair. "There's nothing much to do at 8 at night." I said, looking back up at him. His eyes wandered around the room as he tapped on his chin.

"Are you hungry?" He suddenly asked.

"I mean, not really. We ate 2 hours ago." I answered as he rolled off my bed. He stood up and walked towards my door, digging around in his pockets.

"Good, let's go." He smirked, pulling out his car keys and spinning them around his finger. I raised an eyebrow at him as I began to stand up.

"Go where?" I followed him out into the hallway, still mumbling on about not knowing what he was talking about when he finally put a finger to his lips as we were halfway down the steps.

He led us into my living room where both of my parents were sitting and watching TV. I looked at Luke who was grinning ear to ear as he got my parents attention.

"Autumn and I are going to head out and go get some pizza." He announced. He knew my parents rarely ever said no to him, so something as simple as this was a for sure yes. Technically he didn't even need to ask since he was considered an adult by law, which he was beginning to use to his advantage.

"Alright." My mom lightly smiled back, looking over at my dad. Luke nodded his head towards the door as he was gesturing for me to follow him. "Be safe, alright?" She called out after us.

"'We will!" He yelled back, opening the door to let me out first as I had accustomed myself to. I stepped out without a word and I wrapped my arms around myself from the cold that had settled during the afternoon.

"Where exactly are we going?" I looked over my shoulder to see him stepping right behind me.

"I said we're getting pizza didn't I?" He mumbled with a small smirk. His hand rose to my lower back as we hopped down the stairs and towards his car.

"Where are we really going?" I glanced over at him once I scooted into the seat and waited for him to start his car.