Chapter Twelve;

"Are we to wear white tonight, my queen?"

"White, blue, silver," Alaina gracefully set down her tea cup as her sapphire blue eyes skimmed the letter from her father. "Perhaps gold."

"You favor blue, your majesty," Anne peered up from her book, her brown eyes now slits as she watched Alaina carefully. "If we are to wear gold, you will be wearing red. Am I correct?"

Alaina merely smiled and nodded her head before lifting the cup back up to her lips. Red and black to be precise.

Their attention was pulled away from their glowing queen as the doors to her chambers opened to reveal her newest lady in waiting, Kenna.

"Your majesty," she said as she curtsied before taking her place next to Jane. "When are we to get ready for the ice festival?" She then asked as she looked around at the other ladies in the room, including Alaina. "What will we be wearing?"

"Gold."

"Gold?" She questioned. "Gold and white gowns?" Kenna almost sounded hopeful.

"It seems our queen has decided to be bold, to wear red. It is very rare for us to dress in all gold, so Lady Kenna, you are in for a treat."

"Red? To the ice festival? That is bold indeed. Many will be dressed in-"

"Silver, blue, and white," Alaina stood up and motioned for some servants. "I know, that is why I choose to stand out. Come Kenna, I have had a beautiful gown made especially for you." She beckoned for a girl holding gold silk in her arms to step forward. "Once dressed, you are to return her so that I can see that you are appropriate to represent me tonight as my lady."

"Thank you, your majesty," she said as she followed the servant girl out of the room.

"Since when has she become one of us?" Anne asked.

It was Natalie who spoke with a smirk on her face. "It seems some things do go unnoticed by the German."

"Since she has proven herself," said Alaina as she waved them away so that she could get ready for tonight's festival.

*****

"My, don't you look extravagant," said Greer as soon as she laid eyes on Kenna. "Gold, all gold? Are those diamonds?"

"Indeed they are," beamed Kenna as she leaned in to show her friends the diamonds that consumed her neck.

"She must really like you," said Lola. "I've never seen any of her other ladies wearing jewels like this before."

"It's because I am not just any lady, but also family."

"Of course," Mary groaned as soon as she caught sight of Alaina. "Always has to be the center of attention, doesn't she?"

"Oh my, that is a very red dress."

"I don't know, I quite like it," said Lola as she ran her finger along the fabric of her dress.

"Who's side are you on?"

"Must there be a side?"

"Must we choose?" Kenna asked.

"No, it's quite clear the side you've chosen, Kenna." Replied Mary bitterly as her eyes dropped to the diamonds around Kenna's neck.

*****

"Looks like Conde and Francis are going to spar," Jane said, stating the obvious as she joined the other ladies beside Alaina.

"I'm curious as to why," Alaina placed one hand in the other, her blue eyes darting over to carefully watch Mary. She was curious to know just how the Scottish queen would react.

Both king and prince engaged into an intense battle that set the whole court on edge. Alaina tore here eyes away from Mary to watch the two carefully.

"You would think his wife would step in," said Anne, her attention solely on Mary now.

Alaina too, turned her attention toward Mary to see the queen with her hand close to her mouth watching anxiously. Her attention was soon back on Francis and the fight taking place once the room gasped loudly.

Conde had struck Francis clear in the face and he did not look remotely sorry. Anger coursed through Alaina's veins as she witnessed Francis touch his cheek and pulled back his hand to see blood.

Alaina took a step forward, the castle guards doing the same.

Just as she did so, Francis picked up the stick and charged at Conde, landing a blow to his back.

"What is she doing?" Greer questioned as soon as she noticed Alaina.

"She's going to stop them," said Mary.

Conde went to attack Francis once again only for Francis to block the blow and break his weapon. Angry with losing, Conde then charged toward Francis until a few noblemen stepped in to defend their king.

"Enough!" Alaina barked, her voice silencing the whispers that began to spark. "You will do well to remember your place, Lord Conde," she lowered her voice and stared at him.

With one last dirty look toward Francis, Conde turned on his heal and left. As he left, Alaina's features softened and she turned to see Francis storming out the room with Mary following shortly behind him. Whether she should leave them alone or follow, Alaina was not sure.

"Majesty,"

Alaina turned around to see Kenna standing behind her followed by Mary's other two ladies, Greer and Lola.

"Kenna," the queen nodded her head.

"Are you alright?" She approached Alaina cautiously. "Nearly half the court feared you would have demanded Conde's head."

Alaina turned her head and smiled, "I believe even Conde feared it as well," she then scanned the room to see eyes on her. "Lady Kenna, perhaps you should lead this next dance."

"Of course, your majesty," she said as she dipped low and excused herself.

Alaina turned to see Greer and Lola still standing, watching her. "Hopefully your queen learned something tonight," she said to them and then turned to go check on Francis.