The Gardens

"And here I was just beginning to think you wouldn't show." 

I flash him a smile. "And let you have all the fun?"

He smiles at me, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. "I'm surprised your bodyguards let you leave unattended."

I roll my eyes taking his hand in mine. "They're not my bodyguards."

He chuckles as we walk along the sidewalk. "Then tell me, love, how was it that the three of you came to be?"  

"Pure chance." I begin my eyes glancing to the sidewalk. "I'm practical a rescue animal. They uh, found me in a cabin, up in the backwoods of Montana."

His smile drops as he intently listens his eyes staring at the area in front of him. "And how did you end up there love?"

I lick my lips, tightly gripping his forearm. "Perhaps another time." I shake away the memories glancing up at him. "What about you?"

He glances at me. "What about me?"

"Tell me something about yourself."

"I would rather just talk about you, darling."

I bite my lip looking to the ground, I come to a stop when he does. 

"You know something has really peaked my curiosity about you, love."

I glance up at him. "And what's that?"

He reaches his hand up gently brushing his fingers against my neck. "How did you get those scars?"

I gently move back my eyes trained to the ground. "That's in the past, Klaus. I don't want to ever have to go back there."

He quickly appears in front of me, resting his hands on either side of my face. "I want to know who did this to you, Serena. So that I can make them suffer in a way only I can."

"Is revenge all you think about?"

He gently grabs my shoulders, his blue eyes staring intently into mine. "I want to do right by you, Serena."

I give him a gentle smile resting my hand against his cheek. "Then let's  just focus on today, alright?"