Chapter 1: A Game of Chess

Chapter One: A Game of Chess

~Henrietta Arturia~

This was just so romantic. Tell me about a happy ending and I would show you this picture. Every loose knot was tied up with the simple act of following their hearts. If only everything was just as easy.

Kasalukuyan ngayong nasa Montello High ang lahat ng pwersa ng Mafia Freniere. Ito ay matapos na i-lock down ng grupong tinatawag na Stones Organization ang eskwelahan at dakpin ang isa sa mga leader ng Mafia Freniere. All the reapers were on deck, riveted to the scene of our Mafia masters. Sir Algernon Freniere was confronting his son, Giovanni Freniere, and the girl he chose to save. Sebastian Freniere, Algernon's eldest son, was here, too. And right now, Giovanni's girl was challenging one of the very principles of the Mafia.

Binitiwan ni Mikhail--ang isa ko pang kasamahang reaper--ang babaeng iyon at agad itong tumakbo. Pinanuod ko siya habang papalapit kay Giovanni Freniere. I couldn't stop the envy that suddenly sprang in my heart. If I could just have an ending like hers. She was stupid and definitely far from the usual heroine of a love story but she still got her happy ending. And—uh—what was her name again?

Nadadala na ako sa nasaksihan dahil tila mababago na nila ang isip ni Sir Algernon. Maybe they would become the exception to the rules. Ngunit nasira ang lahat nang isang malakas na putok ng baril ang pumailanlang sa paligid. Everyone froze, including me.

"Take the big fish down before the game ends," wika ng matandang lalaki mula sa bukana ng sentrong building at saka tumakbo papasok nito. This old man was the mastermind of this whole mess. Principal Steins, the leader of the Stones Organization.

Sebastian looked like a man who lost his soul as he watched that unusual smile fade from Giovanni's face. Even I couldn't believe what just happened. I almost believed in happy endings. I almost kept my own hopes up. Until that stupid, old man ruined it in a blink of an eye. I suddenly, desperately wanted to rip his head off his body.

Agad na natauhan si Sebastian sa pagkabigla at tumakbo sa kinaroroonan ni Giovanni. This was the second time in a few short months that his easy arrogance seemed to fade from him entirely. He kneeled beside Giovanni na nakahiga sa lupa. Nakaluhod din sa tabi nito ang babaing iyon. Sir Algernon Freniere stood frozen—unmoving, looking at nothing. Ang pag-asang kanina lang ay nagsisimulang bumalong sa paligid ay napalitan ng luha at kadiliman.

All the reapers stood our ground. We were all waiting for one thing. We were waiting for his words. We were waiting for him to start the game. Ilang segundo lang ang lumipas at dumating ang hinihintay namin.

"Get them... All of them. But don't kill them just yet."

And in less than a second, all the reapers were running towards the building. A few of the Reapers were smiling. Because really, this was what we live for now. This was the life of a Reaper. Everyone was going to take this game seriously. The big catch would be the old man who shot the young Freniere.

But he wasn't my big catch. I was aiming for a different person.