Chapter 23

Mario's POV

***

The county jail was filled as I walked through the double doors.
Baby mamas, crying babies and hood rats filled the entire establishment.
Taking a risk of coming here to clear my name I needed to set things straight with Petey.
"Make sure you're not wearing anything that would make the metal detectors go off." A correctional officer yelled out.
Taking everything out of my pockets, I placed it into a box before walking through the detectors being sure not to make it go off.
Sweat poured from my forehead as I silently prayed that things would go smoothly.
Being wand searched, the officer nodded his head signaling me to retrieve my things from the box.
"Step over." He demanded.
Approaching a window, a lady officer typed away at her computer before glancing up at me.
"I'm here to visit Petey Robertson."
"Your name?" The woman asked with attitude.
Cautious of giving her my entire name because I knew their system would alert the officers of my warrant, I lied.
"Rodney Givens."
Scribbling on a visitor's sticker she handed the paper to me.
"Visitation for this inmate is twenty minutes--have a good day."
Buzzing the door to the visiting area I glanced around at all of the people conversing behind a bulletproof glass.
Finding an empty spot I took a seat waiting for Petey to be escorted out.
"Keep yo hands off me." He snapped at the officer before snatching the phone off the hook. "Well, if ain't Rico Suvave--what you want?"
Shaking my head in disappointment I picked my end of the receiver up.
"I ain't set you up bruh." I said getting to the point.
Petey chuckled. "Really? Because the last thing I remember is that you were supposed to meet me at the shop."
"I came to the shop my dude--but you were gettin' booked. I stopped at Inez's house to grab the work and ran into a few problems there--."
"Fuck yo excuses--you got a lot nerve comin' here wit a sob story."
"Petey, you know I'm not rockin' with the Feds. I was the person bein' setup." I said trying to get him to see the light.
Not wanting to hear another word, he slammed the receiver back onto the hook signaling a guard over to him.
"You betta watch yo set up." He smirked before the guards pulled him back towards the exit.
It was a waste of my time coming to talk to him, once Petey felt like he was betrayed there was no talking to him.
With no other option, I stood from the seat leaving the facility.
Walking towards my car I thought about my next move. A wave of guilt washed over me as I sat in the front seat. Pulling my phone from my pocket I called Roland to check the status of his location.
"Where you at?" I asked as soon as he answered.
"Leaving the funeral--I'm on my way to the hospital now."
Missing my mother's funeral was the hardest thing I ever had to do but going there was putting my life in danger. Niggas was expecting me to be there. Feds too.
"Thanks again bruh."
Pulling the six carat diamond ring from my pocket, I glanced it over as my heart pounded against my chest.
"No problem--I'll see you at the hospital." He said before disconnecting.
Today Lauren was being released after being in the hospital for a week for observation and high blood pressure.
I needed to put my family in a safe environment because Petey wasn't going to stop for no one.
Damn near losing Lauren and our daughter made me realize that I really needed her and wanted them in my life.
Arriving at the hospital in twenty minutes I put the ring back into my pocket before walking into the hospital.
Roland stood in the middle of the floor holding a duffle bag.
"Where is she?"
"In the bathroom--How'd it go?" He asked referring to the jail visit.
"He not goin'." I said shaking my head. "He really think I set him up."
Roland shook his head in disappointment. "People gon be at you as long as you stay in this city."
I nodded my head in agreement.
The bathroom door opened and Lauren wobbled out.
"Hey." She smiled dryly.
"Hey bae." I said walking towards her taking her in my arms. "How you feelin'?"
"I'm ready to get out of here."
"Yo!" A familiar voice called out causing Roland and I to turn in the direction.
Black walked into the room grinning from ear to ear before walking up to me and giving me dap.
"Nigga, I thought you were locked up." I asked still in shock.
"I had to lay low for awhile after that shit went down--when you left I cleaned up a bit and got out that jam." He said calmly.
It felt good to see my nigga.
"I heard about what happened to yo mom--my condolences." Black said sincerely.
The thought of it made my head hurt.
"Thanks." I said plastering on a forced smile. "How did you know I was here?"
"I gave Alaina back her car and she told me. She said somethin' about her mama workin here."
Handing me the keys to my Camaro Black smirked.
"That's what's up."
He directed his attention towards Lauren.
"What's up?"
"Hey Black." She said cautiously.
The room door opened again as Alaina's mother popped her head inside.
"Good, you're here--Alaina's going into labor!"
Roland and Black looked at me.
"Mario come on." She said walking into the room grabbing my hand.
My breathing increased as she pulled me towards the elevator.
"He's almost here." Her mother said referring to the baby while pressing the sixth floor button repeatedly.
Stepping off the elevator and towards the nurse's station I was instructed to walk into Alaina's room.
By time I worked up enough courage she'd already delivered.
Walking into her room she laid in the bed exhausted as the nurses cleaned up the baby.
Wrapping his tiny body into a blanket the nurse handed him to Alaina.
"You're just gonna stand there?" Alaina asked looking up at me. "Come hold him."
Making my way towards the two I gently grabbed him from her arms.
"What did you decide to name him?" I asked removing the blanket from his face.
It was too soon to see any resemblance but his eye color matched mine.
"Braylon--Johnson."
I liked the name and was surprised she chose it.
Passing Braylon back to her I took a seat by her bed.
"I know I wasn't here for your pregnancy but ima be here for my sons, you and I don't have the best relationship but it's not about us." I said.
Alaina's eyes filled with tears.
"You're right." She agreed.
"I movin' out the city and I want us to have an understandin'. Whenever I wanna see them I don't want any excuses from you."
She nodded her head in agreement.
Remembering how she played me about CJ being my son I felt it was a good idea to ask for a D.N.A test.
"I still want that test though." I assured her.
Tears fell from her eyes as she wiped them away.
"Braylon is your son. I made the mistake of lying to you before but never again--."
I was going to let the test be the judge. I didn't trust Alaina at all.
Standing from the seat I left out the room to get a nurse to perform the test.
"As soon as the results are back Mr. Johnson the hospital will contact you." The nurse said before disposing her plastic gloves.
"Thanks." I said shaking her hand.
Walking into the waiting room everyone sat down. Including CJ.

"Daddy, you leavin'?" CJ asked as I lifted him into my arms.
"Yeah but I want you to know that I love you and you can call me anytime."
I almost shed a thug tear saying goodbye to him.
"Tomorrow?" He asked.
Chuckling I kissed his cheek. "Yeah, call me tomorrow."
Returning him back to the floor so he could stand on his own I rubbed my hand over the top of his head.
"Goodbye Mario." Alaina's mother said pulling me into a hug. "You better keep in touch."
Breaking from the hug I assured I would.
In two weeks the results from the D.N.A test was going to be back and I would have all my questions answered.
Turning towards Lauren, Alaina's mother hugged her as well.
"You're so good for him--I've never seen him like this." She said to Lauren causing her to smile before breaking the hug.
Dapping Black I passed him the keys to the barbershop.
"What's this?" He asked looking down at his palm.
"It's yours. What better person to run it?" I asked raising my eyebrow.
"Oh what?" He grinned. "Man I can't take this." He said trying to pass the keys back.
"It's yours."
In shock he nodded his head.
"Good lookin'." He said dapping me again.
"Y'all ready?" Roland asked while heading towards the exit.
I was going to miss the life but I had a lot ahead of me and much more to look forward to.

***

A/N: As you can tell the story is coming to an end :-( but I appreciate all the votes and love I've received on it. THANK YOU SO MUCH!! Please comment & vote!!!