Understanding

He started reading early on. He always loved reading about"mysteries". Bigfoot. The Loch Ness Monster. UFOs. Ghosts. ESP. Whatever. It all fascinated him. He also got used to the impressions and feelings he would have. The dreams. Sometimes he would see shadows flicker past the corner of his eyes, just out of sight. He never got used to the dark, however. Sometimes it would actually paralyze him. Most of the time he was just uncomfortable –in varying degrees.

Spending countless summers with Grandma in Kenosha was a little different though. The house was full of nooks and crannies and crawlspaces. He and his siblings and friends would explore and play hide-and-seek in the house. If Grandma didn't have a renter they would have the upstairs apartment pretty much to themselves. He even explored or hid in some of the dark places alone. While he was always uneasy, there was also a feeling of comfort. If he felt like he was being watched, it was more like he was being watched over.

He also got to understand the word "sensitive" as a noun rather than an adjective. And while he wasn't like, "I see dead people...they're everywhere," he did sometimes feel that there was a little something there. "A little psychic twinkle" as Randall Flagg would have said. He didn't play up on it too much. Didn't boast because most of the times when it came out he was pretty scared and it was all just impressions. People would say he just had an overactive imagination. Maybe that was true.