Chapter 94

I sit in the Great Hall, awaiting my breakfast, as my friends all begin speaking among themselves. I have been miserable ever since James and I started this dumb bet.

It's only been a full twenty minutes since I've woken up and I already cannot take not speaking. I've been carrying around a small pocket-size notebook, in case I am forced to say something. Then, at least I can explain the situation that I'm in.

"I think we should open with the salsa for the prank, what do you think, Chiara? Oh wait, you can't speak. Whoops." James laughs evilly.

My eyes shrink until they're just slits and I become enraged, though before I explode, something catches my eye. Benjamin looks solemnly across his table at Linda, who is sitting by herself at the Hufflepuff table. The two are sitting far apart, considering I find them together all the time.

I look back at him and see him look down to his half empty plate of eggs, in a depressed mood.

I want to walk over to him and ask what's going on, though, I'm still on talk-down mode. I jot down a very carefully written letter, reading, 'Go talk to my brother'.

Sirius examines it carefully. "What?"

I wanted to yell, 'I'd explain it if I could, Sirius!'. Instead, I just send him a death stare.

"I'll go talk to your brother!" He rushes up and walks away quickly.

***

"They broke up." Sirius states proudly, as if he's won a trophy.

My mouth drags downwards and my eyes fill with tears.

Sirius looks a little confused. "I mean ... Mazel tov?"

James grins. "Good thing she can't talk, or we'd never hear the end about how Benjamin and Linda should have gotten married and are soulmates."

I get up and punch him square in the shoulder.

"OW!" He squeaks. I scribble a quick, messy response. 'Yeah, well at least you can't punch me back, I'm not allowed to speak. Haha.'

He crumples the page up and throws it at my face, before walking out of the Great Hall.

***

After a day of ditching classes, and taking turns following Benji and Linda, I finally explode, and even I've got to say, it's not pretty ...

"HOW COULD YOU BREAK UP WITH HER?! YOU WERE GOING TO GET MARRIED! DAD AND I ALREADY STARTED PLANNING. WE SENT OUT INVITATIONS FOR GOODNESS GRACIOUS SAKES!" I get down on one knee. "GO PROPOSE TO HER LIKE THAT ONE TIME YOU PRETENDED TO BE TYING YOUR SHOES!" I yell dramatically.

"Chiara!" He grabs my collar and lugs my soulless carcass and drags me into an empty corridor. "The break up wasn't by me. We both ended it. Our school work was getting hard and we were a distraction. We're still friends." He whispers, trying to reassure me.

Before I can answer, James barges in. "HA! I knew you couldn't handle not speaking. I WAS RIGHT AHAHA!" He sounds like an evil joker.

"Well James, I may be losing, but I'm also winning." I state.

"At what?"

"Losing." I say in an obvious tone.

I then muffle a nervous chuckle. "Oh, Ever would kill me for saying that."