Chapter 28

It was a slow week.

That’s the best I could describe it.

Despite my vow to just forget about the situation unless Liam confronted me about it, the kiss was still on replay in my head and, more often than not, I would have a momentary lapse in time where I’d completely forget what I was doing and just kind of stare off into space questioning my purpose in life. My entire family noticed, but only James knew the actual reason and he had to kick me in the shin a few times at dinner to make me stop. I told my parents I was just groggy from my weird sleep schedule and that I was thinking about Paris, even if the only thing of Paris I was thinking about was Liam kissing me on the Eiffel Tower.

And then it was Saturday morning and we said goodbye to our little London home until October. Mom and Dad decided to stay behind, excluding a few sporadic visits while James filmed in France and Italy. It was kind of sad to leave yet another place I’ve grown accustomed to, but my fairly empty passport looked lovely with another pretty stamp.

The flight was short and pleasant enough, James being sure I was aware that Liam, Ava, and Gemma were coming on a later flight. He stressed on the ‘Liam’ part. Carson was on our flight though and, as usual, that left us an hour of fun and conversation.

“No, no, no, what you have to do, is if you ever become invisible, is go to a mime in Paris and then either attack them or dance with them or something, but the crowd will give that mime so much money because of how well he did. All because of your invisibility,” Carson said, making sure I understood the importance of invisibility even if it wasn’t my superpower of choice.

“Well, you can do that, but being invisible doesn’t appeal to me,” I told him, shrugging passively.

“How does it not appeal to you? It would be so fun!”

“As much fun as flying or shape-shifting or…” my mind went blank as I went through common superpowers that I found interesting.

“Flying? You can get on a plane.”

“But like, fly to the mall or something. I’m lazy. If I could just jump up and fly to the mall that would be so cool.”

“What if it’s raining?”

“Umbrella.”

“While you’re flying?” Carson tested.

“Wet suit?”

“Might weigh you down.”

“Well, then, I would… I’d… dang you Carson, I just want to fly, okay?” Carson laughed, putting his arm around my shoulder.

“Oh Cammie, you’re so cute when you don’t know any comebacks.”

“And you’re a flirt, get off,” I said, shoving his arm back into his lap.

“Hey now, that hurts. I’m a nice guy.”

“Yeah, too nice, Mister Dales.”

Carson made a face. “Mister Dales? I am not my father. Or grandfather. Ew, never call me that again.”

“As you wish, Mister Dales,” I repeated just to annoy him. Making fun of Carson was so much more fun than fretting about Liam.

“As you wish means I love you! Cam, I’m not ready for that commitment.”

“What?” I asked, ultimately confused.

“Haven’t you seen Princess Bride?”

“Maybe, a really long time ago, I don’t remember liking it very much.” Carson stared at me in disbelief and disgust.