39. the misconception of happiness

Warning; this chapter may trigger you and when I mean you— I mean your eyes

S O R E N

They'd moved me into an two patient room. Surprisingly they had asked me if it was okay for me to be there as the blizzard had left those unprepared in terrible shape.

I didn't mind though and I didn't want anyone fussing over me. Before was only an act, I wasn't worth the drama or the attention. The nurses had been very apologetic though, making sure I had the "best double room" to spare.

There was a green, plastic curtain between the other patient and I, meaning I didn't see who was my roommate when I was first wheeled in. They were silent and if the nurse hadn't gone around to check on them, I may have thought they were dead.

It was around midnight when sobs began to echo in my dreams, breaking into the darkness of my sleeping mind.

It was completely dark in the room besides the faint ray of moonlight from the window, but the plastic, patient covering curtain blocked any light that would have normally cascaded in.

Turning over, my body embraced the coolnes, something was relaxing about new cold sheets. Though, to my dislike the nurses had changed the angle of my bed so I slept almost sitting up, so I would supposedly stop coughing.

If I hadn't cried like that before, I honestly would have thought they were choking. It was the hiccups and sharp intakes of breath that gave it away. It was the moment where you shut your mouth, bit your lip to blood... Anything to force yourself to stop crying. Yet, the tears would come because we cry to let people know we need help. Because when you cry you signal that something needs to be addressed, you let your guard down.

Whether that be the loneliness of the world or the beauty of nature, it's to capture the attention of someone or something.

My eyes opened wearily. The sobs were unbearable, like an animal was being tortured.

"Shut up," I groaned too quietly for the patient to hear, the hiccups and sobs continuing to the point where I shoved a pillow over my ears, "Is there any possible way you could shut the fuck up?"

The sobs stopped suddenly and a whisper followed, "S-sorry."

It was girl, she didn't sound old enough to be a women or anyone past the age of twenty.

I groaned in annoyance, eyes closed and completely out of pity I asked, "Why you crying?"

There was pause before, "because... I'm dying."