Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen (Nick's POV)

I knew this quiet time wouldn't last long.

Of course Rick would find out that I hadn't left after five minutes... Or rather, five hours. At least, that's what it felt like, and I cherished that time as I sat by Oliver's bed, watching him sleep. The drugs and exhaustion of trying to get out of bed hit him hard and he passed out shortly after the nurse came back. She let me stay here until my mom came to pick me up, if she ever came to pick me up.

I didn't really want her to. I just wanted to stay here with Oliver, despite my distaste for hospitals. I'd endure it so long as I got to stay by Oliver.

He still looked pale and weak, but something about him was less depressing now and I rested my head near the pillow, reaching up to gently stroke his hair. His hair was so pretty. A pale bleach blonde, short and straight, but long enough to fall over his forehead. His pale green eyes were closed, his lashes slightly darker. I wanted to just lie there forever until I heard yelling from outside the doors to the emergency room.

I sat up, then jumped to my feet when the doors burst open and my mother burst in with Rick, Devin, and Ethan. Of course, Anya and Molly peeked inside curiously as my mother came in, frantic and pale with worry.

"Nicky! Nicky, baby, what the heck is going on?! I could barely get here, the roads were blocked off and they said visiting hours were over and... Oh my goodness." Her voice trailed when she spotted Oliver. I grimaced.

"Mom, please calm down and stop yelling. Oliver's sleeping." I tried, but she snapped her head to look at me in surprise.

"Oliver? Oliver who?"

"Oh, that's rich," Rick drawled, his icy blue eyes locking on me and making me take a step back, "You didn't even tell your mother you were gay."

"Rick!" Devin gasped. I felt the color drain from my face as I stared at Rick Patterson, his eyes piercing me like daggers and a look that said 'you're not getting off easy'. I wanted to hit him, so badly, but my mother was standing between us and her eyes were locked on me, her face pale and her eyes wide in disbelief.

"W-What?" She managed.

"I-I was going to tell you! Tonight, but then everything happened so fast and I didn't get the chance!" I protested. She didn't say anything, just stared at me in horror. I could already feel the heat waves of judgement from her as she withdrew from me, looking at the floor and placing a hand on her forehead as she tried to process it. I grimaced.

"I bet you didn't tell her anything else, about how you used to pick on my son," Rick went on bitterly, "Or that you hit him today, even though you spewed garbage about loving him."

"Rick, that's enough," Devin snapped, making Rick glare at him, "Shut your mouth. We're being rude. Oliver needs his rest. If we're going to debate this, we're going out into the hallway. The last thing Oliver needs is stress." Everyone reluctantly pulled into the hallway and I cast a quick, nervous glance at Oliver, who was still sleeping peacefully and having not heard a word.

We drifted into the hallway where my mother still hadn't said a word and just sat down, covering her face with her hands. I grimaced, inching toward her, but not too close. She was going to kill me.

"Mom-"

"How could you do this," She asked suddenly, looking up at me with a look that held me rooted in place now, "You had everything! Your father and I did everything! We signed you up for sports, we took you on vacations, we made sure you had everything you ever wanted! How could you throw all of that away?"