Whirlpool : The Novel

My pink hair seemed so unreal compared to the moss and bark. But not as much as my dragon horse.  It was taller than I, by least three of my feet and its horn spiraled outward. Not like those of petty unicorns, they were spread out like the end of a screw. The head and hooves were those of dragon descent. The feet held rock hard claws and its head was covered with armored scales.

We continued to walk among the trees, marking the land on paper stolen long ago. The realm, being solely ours, means all the charting is left up to me. For what I have seen and what I assume; we have only covered a corner of this hexagon shaped realm. I have always wondered what we will find in the next of days, a ditch filled with new creatures or maybe a tall mountain hidden by all trees. Nevertheless, there was no time to ponder while on the walk, we had to concentrate on the path.

I used to have shoes, stolen from a larger fellow in another place, another time. They had been hard to trek in so I left them to be decomposed. I was left with just socks which no longer cover my toes. But it’s alright, as long I watch the ground and let Dragon Horse go in front to smash the debris.

The sky faded away, opening the window to the stars. My walk slowed and became less aware. Dragon Horse knelt down and I laid on his back like a corpse. I swayed back and forth as he weaved through the tightly grown trees. Eventually he settled by a sweet smelling tree of oak. I managed to gather some leaves for a softer lay. Then we rested.

Warm air spread across my face.

“DH, I know it is you.”

He let out a blast of air which I believe was meant as a laugh.               

I toed around the abandoned sticks and other assortments till I got to a clearing. I flattened my foot into soft fur grass and started looking for lost nuts.

I was about to bend to collect a whole bundle of green nuts when my eager Dragon Horse charged and smashed them with his very hooves.

I sighed, "There was a pile of green under your feet. Now you will have to go find some more." I could see sadness eat his face so I added in, "But I bet I shall find them first!" and I took off, hearing heaving neighs in the distance.

I rested by a tree, waiting for Dragon Horse to finish looking. The man of sand must have came and shut my eyes because I had woke up the slime covered green nuts toppling over my head.

"Hey you found some! Good work friend."

I took the tip of my vest and dried the slime from his mouth. Then we split them between the two.

After our small snack we traveled toward a cliff. I had never seen such a cliff here, it seems to have just appeared. The trees were hard to get by, they grew so close together. Only a bug would be able to make it thru these small ways with ease.

I made a mistake, going through a set of trees front ways. I went ahead of DH so the trees weren't pushed away. Now I remained, unmoved between bark.

I was way ahead of my dragon horse so if he would find me I wouldn't know. I tried to move, I've been in other jams like this as a rogue but I can't remember the way I escaped though. My arm on my left seem more loose so I had thrust it forwards. It was done with great force, it freed the arm but also twisted me in a terrible position.

I witnessed the sun move and terror crept out of the shadows and into me. What if Dragon Horse took another path and assumes me to be up top.  Or he got stuck and is as scared as me? The thoughts swelled my brain leaving me with quick short breaths.

I decided to try again. I rocked my body to the left as far as I could go. My free arm gripped to a branch as I tried to pull out. I continued to do this till my arm gave out and a blister grew between my fingers. I started to grow tired and was about to give up and rest my head on the mold covered wood when I heard, noise.