chapter 27 || 'there's a bullet in my palm, so don't get worried.'

A/N There's an important Author's Note at the bottom regarding a sequel. Don't forget to read it!

"There are men with guns up there. When they see me, they will kill me, if they can," Tris tells her dad quietly. "Should I let them?"

Silence ensues between the two as Peter and I wait behind them and in front of Marcus Caleb.

"Go," Andrew says," and God help you." Tris leaves us further down the stairs as she hikes up as quietly as a mouse. I can barely see her by the time she gets to the top; she's just a tiny blob of blonde and black. I'm not phased when I hear a gun go off, followed by a shattering window. The bullets begin to fire out from what I assume to be more Dauntless guards. One by one, I hope Tris takes them all out. A moment of noiseless air fills the stairwell before Tris calls down to us.

"All clear!" Andrew lets Peter and I go up first as the other three trail behind. Once I get to the top, I see Tris brushing off her shoulder while wincing in pain. Once we get up, she picks up three guns, handing one to Caleb and tucking another under her belt. She turns to me before asking, "Can you still shoot?"

"Well, I'd prefer to use my left hand, but I can still shoot fairly accurately with my right. Plus, I can always use hand-to – well, hand, if it comes down to that." Tris nods before turning back to her brother.

"I think you and Marcus should stay here with him," she says bitterly, jerking her chin towards Peter. "He'l just slow us down. Make sure no one comes after us."

"I – I can't stay here while you go up there and risk your life," Caleb reasons.

"I need you to." Peter sinks to his knees, obviously still in pain from the bullet wound. My hand is still throbbing. But, nobody here has antiseptic or first aid equipment, so it'll just have to wait. For now, I'll just have to suck it up and hope I don't go through a metal detector. What an odd story that would be. 'Hey, I don't have a gun or anything because it got shot out of my hand. There's a bullet in my palm, so don't get worried.' Caleb hesitantly nods and returns to the group while Tris goes off in search of a gun. She raids two dead Dauntless of their guns and tosses one to me, while keeping the second one for herself. You never know when you might ned a backup gun, do you?

I follow Tris and her dad into one of the elevators on the right side of the room, as the other Dauntless member pushes the button labelled '8.' Tris takes a deep breath as she leans her head against the glass window, the beeps of a rising elevator the only noise audible to us.

"Thank you. For protecting Caleb." Tris glances at her father, not saying a word in response as we reach the last level. "Beatrice, I–"

The doors open swiftly, only to reveal two simulation-controlled guards pointing their guns in our direction. Tris and I exchange a glance before we both drop to the floor as bullets soar through the air. The only thing that surprises me is that they come from behind us, and hit the guards straight in their guts. One slumps to the ground while moaning in pain, as the colour rapidly drains from the other's face. I push myself back up on my feet and keep my gun in my right hand, which feels unnatural. Instead, I bring my left hand to the hilt to steady myself, like I would if I was to shoot a basketball. I scan the right hallway to see little going on, so I decide to swivel around to check the left hallway. If they're coming from there, then that must be where the control room is. I've probably been there once with Four before, but quite frankly there are too many different twists and turns in the hallowed out rock shelter I call home I honestly can't remember where is where. I look at Tris, who probably is thinking what I'm thinking. She flicks her eyes towards the guards on the ground before she dives next to them. I catch on quickly and drop down next to her. I wait for her father to do the same, but he takes us all by surprise.