Chapter Twelve

ALLEN POV 

I step into the Hospital, instant hatred hitting me as I stare around. I hate this place. Nothing good in my family ever happens here. Except maybe when Oliver got his surgery to fix his chest. I walk slowly to the reception desk and wait for the nurse to give me a bored look. 

"I'm lo-looking for Rolland Flint-Hopkins. I don't know if he is in the ICU o-or in a regular room." I stutter. She turns her eyes back to her computer screen and with a few clicks brings up Rolland's file.

"He's in the ICU, just take a right and then follow the signs." She says in an utterly bored voice, lifting a finger to the right. "better still just follow the green tiles on the floor, it leads you to the ICU." She says before returning to her solitaire game. I don't bother telling her that I already knew where the unit was, I just thank her kindly and hurry over to the ICU, noticing for the first time that the Green tiles actually did take you to the doors. I go over to the nurse who was siting at the desk right outside and give her a smile when I realize it was Shirley, a nurse I sadly knew by heart now. I can see it in her eyes the sadness she had for me when she looks up and spots me. 

"He's right inside hun, go on in." She says before I can even tell her why I am here. I give her a grim nod and wait for her to hit the button that permitted me entrance. "He's at the end of the hall on your left, Room I5." She says. 

"Thanks Shirley." I whisper and rush in, practically jogging past the other rooms, not wanting to see the sick and dying. Not wanting to Admit that my brother had landed back in here. Room I5 comes up and I slow my pace when I hear Anabell's voice. 

"Papa? Please get better." She says tears thick in her small voice. My heart stutters in my chest when I hear a wheezy breath answer

"I'll try kiddo." Rolland says and I gasp, stepping back. I could here it in his voice the pain he was in and could only imagine what he looked like. I couldn't do it. I couldn't go in there and see my brother, Larger then life, laying in a hospital bed with tubes stuck in him like a lab rat. I couldn't do that again. If I saw him like that I would break. My body starts to tremble and I back up more, Yelping when I bump into someone. I whip around to See Oliver, totally forgetting that he was the one who brought me there. He peers at me with concern.

"Allen you ok? Come on lets go see him." He says reaching for my arm. I yank it away and jump away from him, fear spiking through me. "Allen what's wrong?" He asks, alarm in his voice. I couldn't really hear him, I could only hear the rushing of my blood pounding in my ears, my breathing sounding very loud. My body twitches and I heave in a breath. A panic attack was setting in and I had to leave. I couldn't be in this area, the smells, it smelt like death and disinfectant, the sounds, hoarse breathing, beeps of machine telling someone's life status. It was all to much. 

"I Ca-Ca-Cant." I stutter out before breaking into a run, pushing past Oliver. I can hear him screaming my name, and the rude shouts of nurses telling me to stop running but I don't listen. I just need to get out of this area, out of this place. I don't bother waiting for Shirley to push the button. I push open the door and break free, following the green tiles out into the main area. 

Rolland, 

My Rock, my safe place. he was laying in a bed right now Sick, Fighting for his life. He could be ripped away from me at any minute. Then who would be there to protect me when I needed it? My Big brother was all I had Left. I couldn't lose him. I run outside and finally stop when the warm breeze hits me in the face. I slow down, bending over to catch my breath, placing my hands on my knees. I had to leave here. It was too far to walk back to the dorms, and I didn't have a car of my own. Thankfully I had about fifty dollars in my wallet. I stand up and taking out my phone I call the closest Taxi company. Ten minutes later I see the yellow car pull up in front of me. I slide in and give them the address to the college before leaning back in the seat. My phone rings out Oliver's number and I hit Ignore, putting the phone on silent not wanting to talk to anyone but one person. I send them a text.