Uncertainty (Robb Stark x Targaryen!reader) AU

(This is an AU. Aerys II isn't the Mad King and the Targaryens are in power.)

"But why, Father? Of all the people in the world, why a Targaryen?" Robb complained to his father. The eldest Stark sibling had just been informed that he had been promised to you, Y/N Targaryen, the king's cousin. Ned sighed. "Robb, you know why. The king has chosen you of all people to wed his cousin. It is an honor. Besides, better a Targaryen than a Lannister." Robb groaned, but didn't press the issue. As usual, his father was right. It was an honor to be specifically chosen by the king to wed his kin. Still, Robb wasn't happy about it and now, he had to prepare to travel to King's Landing to meet you.

Robb was silent the entire month long journey to King's Landing. He spoke only when was necessary and chose to spend most of his time and energy either with Grey Wind or training with Jon. While they trained, Jon tried to get Robb to talk to him to no avail. Robb simply refused to talk about it. He was going to marry you since he had no choice, but that didn't mean he had to be happy about it or even to acknowledge it until he had no other choice. Unfortunately for him, Robb would end up meeting you far sooner than he was prepared to.

As soon as the carriage and horses stopped, Grey Wind took off running into the Red Keep. "Get after him, Robb before he is harmed or harms someone else," Catelyn ordered. She chose to travel with her son and Jon so Ned could stay in Winterfell. Robb nodded and went after his direwolf. He didn't expect to find Grey Wind running around the very person Robb had traveled to meet, although he did not know it was you. You looked up at Robb, your violet eyes shining with mischief.

"You should keep this one close. Next time, Daekar may not take so kindly to such a fright." Robb nearly replied in a sharp tone until he heard the joking tone in your voice. With a laugh, Robb said, "My apologies. It seems as though Grey Wind wished to explore the Keep without me," he said with a smile and a bow. You returned the greeting. Robb called Grey Wind to his side. "Daekar?" he asked suddenly, making you smile. You pulled back you cloak, revealing the small dragon. He climbed up to your perch on your shoulder.

"You have a dragon?" You nodded. "The king was kind enough to bestow one of his dragon eggs on me. Daekar hatched but a few moons ago," you replied before turning your eyes back to him. "Forgive me. I should introduce myself. Y/N Targaryen." Robb's mouth dropped open in surprise. "You're Y/N?" You nodded in response. "I am." For a moment, Robb said nothing. "I suppose you are one of the Stark family. By your age I would say either Jon Snow or my betrothed, Robb," you prompted.

He merely stared for another minute, making you roll your eyes as you attempted to feed Daekar some meat you carried with you. You threw a few pieces to Grey Wind, trying to ignore the awkward situation. "I am. Your betrothed, I mean." You smiled at him. "Was that so hard?" you quipped, making Robb laugh again.

Your smile fell as soon as it had appeared. "We are to be married..." Robb nodded and let out a sigh. "We are. In a fortnight." You looked into his blue eyes. "I'm not sure I'm ready for this, Robb. Especially to a man I have not met before today." He nodded in understanding. "I feel the same. But, the king has commanded it." Daekar let out a little noise, breaking the awkward tension and making the two of you laugh. "We should go to the throne room. My cousin will be waiting for us, and your family as well, I'm sure." Robb nodded and followed you through the corridors of the Keep. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all.

You and Robb had spent the entire fortnight before the wedding getting to know one another as much as you could. By the time the day of the wedding arrived, you were both ready. Were you in love? That was still an uncertainty. The one thing you were certain of was that you were worried about being married to Robb anymore. The thought didn't make you shudder or want to vomit. You hoped Robb felt the same. Although, it really didn't matter. It was too late to back down now. You took a deep breath as the doors of the throne room opened, and you approached Robb, ready to marry him.

*time skip brought to you by Drogon*

You had traveled to Winterfell to live shortly after the wedding. After all, your husband was to be Lord of Winterfell someday. You had grown accustomed to the cold and came to love Winterfell as your own home. Daekar was now much too large to live in the castle so Robb had a place built for him and you would let him out a few times a day to stretch his wings. The first few weeks of your marriage to Robb had been awkward to say the least. Neither one of you was certain how to act around the other. It wasn't until you'd been married for almost six moons did either one of you actually realize your true feelings. All thanks to a feast for Catelyn's nameday.

You were dressed in your very best, ready to eat and dance the night away. You only hoped Robb would be able to relax long enough to enjoy it too. Robb entered your shared chambers with a smile. "There you are. Are you ready?" You nodded and got up to join him. "You look wonderful, Y/N," he told you, kissing your cheek. You thanked him as your eyes scanned his form. He looked so mature and regal. Every bit the lord he was meant to be. "Shall we?" You gave him another nod and linked your arm in his.

The two of you entered the feast arm-in-arm and all heads turned your way for a brief moment. You smiled at Robb before the two of you took your seats so Ned could begin the feast. Shortly after the feast began, Theon came up to the table and asked you for a dance. Robb was dancing with Sansa so you nodded. You didn't see the looks Robb kept casting your way. He wasn't watching you though. He was watching Theon. Theon was his best friend, but Robb didn't trust him when it came to you.

When the dance was over, you returned to your seat as did Robb, but your husband wouldn't look at you. His jaw was tight and his hard gaze was fixed on Theon. "Robb?" He glanced at you from the corner of his eye. "What's wrong?" He merely grunted and you rolled your eyes. You'd gotten used to the Stark temper so you did the only thing you could think of. You grabbed two horns of wine before taking your husband's hand and pulling him from the room. You wouldn't be missed for a short while.

Once outside, you handed Robb one of the horns. He quickly drained it and looked at you. "Now, would you care to deal me what troubles my husband?" He scoffed. "It is nothing." You simply stared at him until he answered truthfully. "Fine. I don't like Theon dancing with you. I don't like him touching you that closely." Your brow rose. "Oh. You were jealous." Robb gave a derisive snort.

"I am not jealous. You are married to me." You placed a comforting hand on his shoulder. "Exactly. You've never behaved like this before Robb. I've spent plenty of time with Theon before." Robb glared. "I know! I don't want him to take you from me!" You blinked rapidly in shock. "Robb..." He held up a hand, indicating that he wasn't finished speaking.

"I know you're married to me and I know that this marriage was one of mutual benefit for our families but, somehow, over these past moons, I have developed feelings for you that I can't explain. I was jealous. The very thought of anyone else holding you that close makes me blind with envy. I want to take them and show them exactly who it is they are crossing. I feel terrible. A lord shouldn't behave this way but I can't help it where you're concerned."

You were smiling, that same mischievous smile you wore the first time he met you. "So you were jealous." Robb rolled his beautiful blue eyes and sighed in defeat. "Yes, Y/N." You shook your head fondly and kissed his bearded cheek. "There is no need to be jealous, Robb. I do not love anyone else." Your mouth opened at your own confession. It was the first time you'd ever said that word to him. Love. He turned to face you fully, his expression mirroring your own. "You love me?" You couldn't help but smirk. "I thought that was rather obvious, husband." His arm quickly wrapped around you and he pulled you close. "I love you, Y/N," he whispered before he smashed his lips against yours in a fervent kiss. As he kissed you, all the uncertainty you ever had disappeared.