Wounds

Remus's entrance into the tiny police department in his home town would've impressed even Severus Snape. That is if Snape had the capacity to be impressed by someone he cared so little for. The tawny haired man billowed into the precinct his eyes landing immediately on his daughter, who sat on the edge of a desk glaring angrily at a police officer. The officer in question appeared rather confused and exasperated.

"Merlin's pants! I told you he didn't kidnap me you daft spud! How exactly would that even make sense? What he walked around till he found the one kid in a bird costume so he could match his kidnappee for trick or treating?!" Caelen snapped, irritation evident in her voice.

The officer sighed as if they'd discussed this repeatedly already, which was pretty likely knowing Caelen. "The man in the cell is a wanted criminal."

"The man in the cell WAS a wanted criminal!" The girl snapped with a groan. "He was ex-ex-"

"-exonerated." Remus finished for her with a relieved smile.

Caelen spun around hopping from the desk and hurrying over to her father, despite the weak protests from, who she'd quickly begun thinking of as her captor. "Yes that." She agreed as she launched herself into his arms. "They locked uncle Sirius and aunt Nutty in these big cages like animals!" She glared angrily back at the officer. "He keeps saying uncle Sirius is dangerous, and drunk, and won't let me see them!"

Remus nodded patting his child reassuringly, "I'll handle it Cub," he promised quietly. "Officer I'm afraid there's been a bit of a mixup, what my daughter's been telling you is the truth, she, Sirius, and Nuntis were out trick or treating. Sirius isn't always the most responsible but he's not a danger, at least not to Caelen."

The officer grumbled but eventually, after cramping Remus's hand up with what he believed was an inordinate amount of paper signing, led them back to the cells. "They put up quite a fight, there will be a fine for that." The officer warned before they turned a corner. Remus's jaw clenched angrily as he took in his friends.

Nuntis was pacing much like a tiger in a small cage at the circus. Scrapes and bruises littered her arms and her lip had split. She looked poised and ready to rip someone apart. Sirius sat in the corner on a metal bench, his elbows resting on his knees, head held in his hands. Remus wasn't sure yet how injured he was but if Nuntis looked as she did he had no doubt Sirius would be similar.

The guard cleared his throat, "Mr. Lupin has come to collect you," his tone sounded like they'd been wrong all along. The implication had Remus's teeth grinding and eyes narrowing in anger.

Sirius lifted his head slowly wincing at whatever expression he saw on his friend's face. "Remmy-"

"Home Sirius," Remus ground out as he snatched their things away from the guard and headed for the doors. Nuntis snapped her teeth at the guard as they passed, Sirius merely hung his head following behind much like a kicked puppy.

The walk home was silent aside from Caelen's constant chattering about how she'd tried to explain and the officer was a bit daft. Sirius would have laughed if he hadn't been so upset.

Remus ushered the group into the cottage without a word pointing the adults toward the kitchen before slamming the door. Remus pulled out his bandages silently cleaning and bandaging Nuntis first.

"I'll get Caelen ready for bed shall I?" Nuts offered.

Remus nodded, "thanks Nun."