Chapter 18

"How is Rory not good enough?" Odette struggled to understand the circumstances that led to Logan's choices.

"My mother has always felt that Rory wasn't suitable to marry into our family because she wanted to work. She didn't want a social calendar to run her life. After she rejected my proposal, she traveled around the country, reporting on Barack Obama's 2008 presidential campaign. She was gone for months at a time, living on a bus and relying on rinsing clothing in Woolite in motel bathtubs. Does that sound like a woman good enough for the heir of the Huntzberger Publishing Group?"

"How does Rory feel about you? Does she want to marry you now?"

"Yes on both accounts. We want to be together, Odette. I plan to propose to her very soon."

Taken aback, Odette stared at Logan. "What's the rush? I thought you two would just officially go public with your relationship, not that you'd be running down the aisle."

Logan hesitated, wondering how she would take this last piece of news. "Odette, Rory is seven weeks pregnant with my child."

Odette fell back against the back of the bench. "Oh."

For the second time, Logan apologized. "I'm very sorry Odette. I really never meant to hurt you."

Silently, moments passed while Odette processed the unanticipated turn. Quietly, she broached a question that she was afraid to know the answer to: "If you wouldn't have run into Rory in Hamburg, would you have ever told me about your feelings for Rory?"

Logan looked down at his hands. "I don't know the answer to that. It would be easy to tell you that I would have, but honestly, I don't know."

It was as if everything has become clear. While it definitely wasn't easy hearing that Logan never loved her and only moved forward in their relationship because his family expected him to, she was beginning to understand the inner struggle he felt. Over the years, she came to know Mitchum and Shira fairly well and could see where their pressures could cause one's shoulders to sag.

Odette felt exhausted. During the two hour drive from New York City, every emotion fought to be heard: sadness, hurt, anger, betrayal. Now, however, looking at Logan and seeing how deflated he, too, looked, she knew in her heart that learning the truth now was much better than after the wedding. It didn't soften the blow but she felt like she would be able to move on easier.

Odette turned to face Logan. "This is going to sound weird and will probably be very awkward, but I'd like to meet Rory."

*****

"Odette wants to meet me?" Rory looked dubiously at Lane. "Why? What good could that possibly do?"

Lane shrugged her shoulders. "I have no idea. Logan didn't try talking her out of it?"

"He didn't say." Rory looked down at her clothing. "I can't meet a French heiress in this! I look like I just came in from slopping pigs!"

Lane laughed. "No you don't. You're welcome to quickly raid my closet though."

Both girls took off to Lane and Zack's bedroom, Rory reaching the closet first. She threw the doors open and searched for something, anything, that would make her feel more presentable to meet Odette. Lane pulled several tops out and showed them to Rory, who stood considering the options. "Those are nice."

"Wait!" Lane shoved the shirts to the left, reaching into the far right of the closet. She lifted out a white long sleeved, shin length dress that was covered in gray and pink flowers. It was feminine but not over the top. A long pink ribbon stretched around the waist, meant to be tied off center. "Your black flats would match this even— because, let's face it, my shoes wouldn't fit more than your big toe."

Rory quickly stripped her clothes off and put the dress on. It fit her perfectly, though it hit her closer to the knee since she was several inches taller than Lane. She ran her fingers through her hair, hoping it did enough to make her look put together. After grabbing her coat, she walked to the front door. As she reached for the knob, she plastered a phony smile on her lips and looked over at Lane. "Wish me luck!"

"Good luck!"

Nerves were multiplying inside Rory's stomach with each step she took. A thousand thoughts filtered through her head as she got closer to the gazebo. She had to take a deep breath and tell herself to calm down. About thirty feet ahead of her, Rory saw Logan standing on the sidewalk, waiting for her. Standing farther up the path, she spied a beautiful blonde woman who was zipped inside a deep purple coat.

Reaching Logan, Rory's eyes searched his. Trying to keep her lips from moving, she asked, "Why does she want to meet me?"

Logan laughed, taking her hand in his. "She asked. I thought it was the least we could do. Don't worry, Ace. It will all be okay." The couple turned, closing the distance until Rory was face to face with Odette.

Holding out her hand, Odette spoke first. "Hello Rory. I'm Odette."