Was There Peace in the Valley

Chyna sat on her bed and took a few deep breaths

Chyna sat on her bed and took a few deep breaths. It was all so much more than what she thought would happen. "Its just naturally ill fate that meets me across that river." Chyna thought.

But though she had the soul nearly scared right out of her. A smile came to her face, She'd nearly forgotten the good that was burried in the McCoy blood. Nancy whom she hand't seen since before running away, the girl whom used to treat Chyna like a personal doll and look out for her when Chyna's Ma used to work for Martha and Harmen McCoy, she still took up for her.

And Calvin whom had helped Tolbert in all the horrible things done to Chyna. Wanted to repent, albiet in a very odd way.

"No person is bad to the core, an' no person is perfect. But maybe...maybe there is some hope in really belonging to these hills." Chyna thought.

She then laughed at herself, "but I'm still the same color as I ever was....I shouldn't have gotten so sore at Ellison...its not like i've never been yelled at before" she muttered to herself.

"Don't make it right"

Ellison's voice echoes as he pushed open the door to Chyna's shed.

She quickly scrambled to her feet. "I'm sorr-" before she could get the words out, in just two long strides Ellison had wrapped her body under his, curled his shoulder around her and drew her into a kiss.

The sudden action cause chyna to freeze. Ellison pulled back and gave a bashful smile. "I was worried...and scared. And was on my way to the Tug when Cap brought you back" he said brushing the graze mark on her cheek. "I want to be the one to protect you I can't do that if you keep leavin' out of my sight" he said.

"I would have went with you into Pikeville had you asked. You're always doing everything on your own" he added. Chyna brushed his bangs back to the side and patted his arm "thats cause I ain't got much but myself out here." She said but somewhere she knew that that was a lie. She had three people on her side, and two across the river. But she couldn't stop running like a doe thats too afraid to square off with the hunter. She belonged here as much as anyone else, she was born in the larger area, however. Things aren't so simple.