XIII: Markets and Libraries

Noah

"I'm going to head off to the library, and I'll meet you all in the market place," I tell the trio.

"I should at least go with you," Roman says.

"I'll be fine, I just need to grab a book and I'll be right back at the clock tower at the base of Market Hill. It will only take half an hour at most."

"The Queen and King only allow you this much freedom if they know you have Protection with you. I must go with you," he replies firmly.

"I said I'm going alone. You will go to the markets with your brother and Samara, and show them around, and I'll go to the library to pick up a history book. No arguing, my decision is final." I command.

Roman's eyes widen, and he bows his head in submission.

"Yes, My Prince." he says, sincerely.

I myself was shocked. Where did that come from?

I look to the other two and see them gaping at me.

Suddenly, I was glad we were in one of the barely trafficked streets, as no one was within earshot to hear our exchange. It gave me a false sense of protection even if on the inside I felt quite exposed.

"You used the commanding voice on him," Samara says, flabbergasted.

"I just kind of snapped I guess. I meant it, though. I'm going to go to the library, I'll meet you all back at the clock tower when it chimes eleven." I tell the trio, going off on my way.

It takes me just about five minutes to find the library, as I was using my memory over a map and forgot how to get there after crossing the bridge. It's a slight delay, but it is also the difference of meeting the trio over there or meeting the trio here along with the island watch.

As I scan through the shelves looking for their history section, I hear someone clear their throat behind me. To my luck, it was a librarian.

"May I ask, how you managed to get into this establishment?" he looks at me as if I'm the dirt at the bottom of his shoe.

Chandler growls within my mind at the disrespect, and it took everything in me to not growl out loud at the man

"Well, it is a library. This is a public establishment t, is it not?"

"Yes but for those... educated enough to find a use to what we have within these walls."

"Hmm... I see this was a waste of my time then. Her Majesty will be quite disappointed that I must skip this part of my lessons."

"No bluff will get you access to our collection."

"Bluff?" I say angrily. 

If only William didn't destroy my officials uniform, I would have shown this man up.

"Yes, now I will ask you to leave again before I call the guard." he says, taking me up by the arm, ready to drag me out, only to be met by a threatening growl in front of us.

"What seems to be the problem here?" Roman asks, wearing his royal guard uniform, flanked by both Samara and Ramos who were in much nicer looking attire then before, and glaring menacingly at the librarian.

"This heathen was trying to-" the man attempted to explain.

"Heathen! Is that any way to address the kings future advisor? Must I send word back to the King's mother to notify her of your insolence as he is away on business?" Roman demands.

"I tried to tell him that and he said I was bluffing. Now that we have settled that I am indeed qualified to be in this building, could you point me out to where you keep the history and records of Gaia? Or might I also have to get my two brothers Cody and Jacob Matthews to sue you to get them?" I question the man, looking at the fear in his eyes.