(Young) Robert Baratheon X Reader - Hostage

Your throat was sore from screaming; your eyes red from the tears running down your cheeks. You wanted to wipe them away, but there was nothing you could do with your hands bound behind your back. It felt like you had been here for months, that you had been captured along with your mother long ago but you know it could only have been a few days.

You had been travelling on one of the main roads to visit your intended when you had been ambushed by one of his enemies. The guards had screamed as they were slaughtered, your three men outnumbered by their fifteen. You had known your families guard since you were a child and you had seen them murdered in front of you, killed in cold blood over a battle that was not yet their own.

Of course you were bitter. If you had the chance you would hunt down and kill every man who had been involved in the attack, but here you were, trapped in the damp dungeons of some ridiculous Lord with an equally ridiculous grudge.

It seemed that your betrothed had a lot of enemies; it all came as part of being the leader of one of the largest houses in Westeros. And once you married Robert Baratheon they would be your enemies too. Not that you minded. You were to wed one of the most handsome men in the world, when your sister was likely to marry someone older than herself by quite a way. It was pretty obvious that you had lucked out in the husband department.

You were reminded of your luck when the door came flying off of its hinges, clattering to the floor and sending up a thick layer of dust into the air. As it settled around you, your eyes landed on the man who rushed towards you.

"Gods (Y/N), what has he done to you?" your future husband asked, kneeling before you to look over your bruised cheek, running his thumb over it gently, flinching away as you winced. "I'm sorry," he murmured as he cut through the ties binding your hands.

"Where is my mother?" you asked as he steadied you on your feet, allowing you to lean against his shoulder to regain your balance when you wavered.

"I'm so sorry," he whispered, pulling you closer to his side as he ushered you out of the cell you had been contained in, leading you out of the building.

"What do you mean? I want to see my mother," you protested, pulling away only to lose you balance, colliding lightly with the wall before Robert caught your body again.

"Your mother died shortly after your arrival here, My Lady," he mumbled to you, pulling you into his arms gently as you began to sob.

After a while, your sobs softened and your tears slowed as you attempted to pull away from Robert's grip. He slowly released you, holding you at arms length as you sniffled and wiped at your tear stained cheeks.

"Is he still alive?" you muttered quietly, finally locking your eyes with Robert's as he let out a deep sigh.

"No, Y/N. We need to get you somewhere safe. I won't let you see him," he groaned as he attempted to pull you along gently.

"He killed my mother, Robert," you hissed out, pulling your arm from his grip and shooting him a glare.

"All the more reason for you not to see him," he attempted to reason with you, rolling his eyes when you continued to glare up at him. "Please, I'm just trying to protect you," he added softly.

"I don't need you to protect me," you spat angrily at him, causing him to scoff.

"Yeah, it really seems that way," he laughed, releasing you and beginning to storm away.

"Tell me where he is," you growled as you attempted to keep up with him, limping slightly as you followed.

"No," he answered simply, continuing to walk towards the exit. As you went to speak again he quickly cut you off. "I'm not going to tell you, so you may as well save your breath," he muttered out as he pushed the doors open and stepped out into the courtyard, where his horse was waiting for you.

"Robert, please," you started before you heard him huff, rounding to face you.

"I swear to the Gods, if you don't get on the back of the horse and shut your mouth, I will leave you here," he growled, towering over you and leaving you to just nod.

You had never been scared of Robert before, but now you weren't so sure. As you were lifted up to sit behind him, you hesitated until he pulled your arms around his waist.

"I'm sorry for yelling, but I know that seeing him would only make things worse for you. I know him and I know you," he murmured, running his fingers over your cold, soft hands.

You simply rested your forehead against his back lightly, deciding not to answer as you linked your fingers with his.

"I love you," he added softly, giving your hand a small squeeze, his thumb still running smoothly against your skin.

"I know," you mumbled back, your eyes sliding shut as you began to relax into your betrothed's touch.

Please consider supporting me for just £3 using Ko-Fi. The link is available on my profile page. If you have any questions about Ko-Fi please feel free to private message me. Thank you. L x