Shelter of secrets (part one)

Ferry walked towards one of the windows of the tower. He almost stopped breathing. He didn't know how the magic of the green feather was working. What if the effect of invisibility would go after a while once he was inside the Palace? He could almost smell the fairy charms everywhere around.

But Oona didn't seem to notice him. She watched outside the window, lost in thought, mumbling her little song. He tried to stay completely still, focusing on his heartbeats in fear Oona might hear them.

He heard footsteps coming closer. Oona looked towards the entrance in the tower, waiting; then she smiled at Poppy's sight.

"What is it, Oona?" the little girl asked. "Why did you want to see me here? It took me so long to climb these stairs..."

"There's something really important I would like to talk to you, Caireann," Oona said, as serious as can be. She took a seat in the middle of the room, near the blue flame, inviting Poppy to do the same. "Listen, what I'm about to say, it's not a game. It's something seriously serious. So you must listen carefully. And you mustn't tell anyone. Not even if they give you a thousand oat crackers!"

Poppy looked at her with the sparkling eyes of a child who tried to please a loved one, "Of course, Oona. You know I would never do something like that. You can tell me."

Oona took a deep breath and said in one breath, "It's about the fairy-boy," she whispered, in great secrecy. "They're looking for him... I don't know why, but he seems very special to the fairy people in Medley Path. So you mustn't tell we ever met him or ever talked to him, do you understand? No matter what. If they find him ─ I don't know what will happen if they'll find him."

Poppy nodded repeatedly, a sign she understood all too well. "Worry not, Oona, I won't tell anyone. You know I love you and I wouldn't do anything to upset you. But, why is he so important to you, too?"

Oona glared at her, "That is not the business of small fairies like you," she hissed.

"I'm sorry... I didn't mean to ­­­­­­­­­­─" Poppy sobbed.

Oona calmed down quickly and then she caressed her hair, adjusting a small flower in her braids. "There are things you are too young to understand, Caireann," she softly said. "In time, you shall see. But you've been here for such a short time to really understand all the mysteries of this place."

Poppy nodded and clapped her hands.

"Say, have you played in the forest lately?" Oona asked her, her good mood seemingly back.

"I couldn't," Poppy sighed. "The forest is crowded with people. They're all looking for the missing children."

Ferry's heart skipped a beat. It was for the first time since he was to fairyland to hear news from home. Danny, Matilda, and he were the missing children. He tried to stop a gasp coming from the depths of his soul, but couldn't.

That very moment, Oona jumped up her feet and searched the room, sniffing the air around.

"What is it, Oona?" Poppy asked her.

"Nothing," the red-head fairy rushed to answer. "We'd better leave. The others might think we are up to something."

And she almost pushed Poppy on the way out.

Ferry could finally breathe easily. Truth be told, the news from home shook him. His mother's image came to his mind. She must've been worried sick. Just as worried as Danny's mum or Matt's father. He imagined her wandering the Shepherd's Forest, tears falling like rivers and tangled weeds crawling on her feet, while branches were catching on her silky blonde hair. His heart broke in pieces thinking about her longing and despair. Sure thing, he needed to find those scissors, free his friends, and get home. As simple as that.