Chapter 4

[What I'm thinking of doing is having updates daily Wednesday through Friday, and then the rest of the week will be dedicated to writing more pre-written chapters. Does that sound good? I have a feeling I'm gonna fail at this at some point but I'll still try. What I want to count on is an update on every Wednesday. That should be doable if not the former schedule. Anyway, enjoy!]

Stay Creepy, My Friends!~

Chapter 4

Ao's POV

Juilliard was my dream school; the place I wanted to go to after I graduated high school. I worked nearly day and night to become what I thought everyone there would consider a top violinist. I wanted to show the world that I was good enough to blow it away with my music and spirit. Now, I have to protect that world from evil.

Manhattan is an interesting city and it took me a while to find Juilliard among its network of buildings. When I finally found the campus and its auditorium, I was relieved. I was even more relieved to know that I had made it in time for the concert.

Watching such a grand symphony orchestra play made me long for music again. I missed it all; the instructor leading us, the playing, the harmonizing and clashing and everything...! I missed the ache in the center of my back from sitting in the perfect posture for too long, and I missed the feeling of the steel core strings against my fingertips. Everything. Seeing these lucky, talented musicians play beautiful pieces made me both inspired and envious for what I couldn't have.

The audience clapped appreciatively after every song, and the silence that clouded them when the music would become dramatically loud or quiet was captivating. I watched it all from the back of the auditorium, where it was dark and unattended, where I knew I wouldn't be given any glances.

Like the end of the program said, the orchestra ceased their second-to-last song and allowed one lone musician to come to the front of the stage. Without any stand or music, he sat on a black chair with his cello cradled in front of him. He gave a confident wave of his hand before getting his bow ready on his cello strings and beginning his piece.

I smiled as soon as the first note of Prokofiev Sonata in C minor played and echoed across the auditorium. The way the music reverberated with a rich tone made my heart flutter and I started tearing up. The vibrato within long, placid notes, and the vibrant bounce in the short, brisk notes was amazing. I loved every second that the soloist sat up on that stage with all of the confidence in the world. The way he smiled when others would keep a flat expression, the way he swayed with his instrument like it was a dance; it all made for a sight that I found myself cherishing.

It was a long piece, but it was more commendable that he had memorized it all. In the end, he slowly pulled his bow away from the strings and let the remaining note ring with emotion. The moment he stood was when the audience clapped for him and I did the same. I used the sleeves of my jacket to wipe at my eyes before tears could fall and watched as the young soloist bowed graciously. I smiled and glanced down at the program in my hands, at the musician's name along side with his solo.

Craig Holland.

"You made it...," I murmured proudly.

When I looked up, I saw him leaning over the edge of the stage to receive a colorful bouquet of flowers from a blond haired man. I didn't have to see his face to know it was Xavier cheering on his boyfriend. They shared a sweet kiss before Craig had to leave so the orchestra could perform their final song for the night. As he walked away, he took a glance at the back of the auditorium with a somewhat confused expression.

But I was already gone.

I was leaving the Juilliard campus after a few minutes. Although I wanted to watch the rest of the concert, I couldn't stay, in fear that someone would notice me.