Chapter 68: Signs

Iroh's P.O.V

"Saira! The zeppelin!"

"No! I can't leave when people need my help, Iroh."

I frowned. Damn! Why was this woman so stubborn?

"Saira. I know it's killing you to see people suffer. But if you don't leave now, you will get killed. So go on board. Now.", I raised my voice at the last word. The Harmonic Convergence was near and Saira still was here. I just couldn't risk her life. Neither hers nor the Fire Nation's future heir's. Saira looked into my eyes, she was fighting with herself. She knew I was right but the condition of Republic City was not well.

"You can't protect Republic City alone ", she finally spoke.

"Neither can you help me, Saira. And you know that. You are only risking your own and our child's life.", I said a bit too harsh.
Saira let out a sigh and looked back into my eyes, with desperation in her eyes.

"Fine. You are right. Just promise me you will come back."

"I promise. I always will.", I said and kissed her forehead. She nodded and got on board of the zeppelin. Saira turned around one more time and waved before the doors closed. The zeppelin took off and I had one person less to worry about. I let out a sigh and drove to the HQ to make the fleet ready for an eventual attack by Unalaq. I knew since I met Unalaq that he wasn't quite normal. He had wicked plans, which I refused to understand, although he asked me to work with him. I remembered him offering me to rule the world with him I just had to be his spy. But I couldn't. I couldn't betray the United Republic and the Fire Nation, nor the world and my family. Especially not the peace ruling the current world. Unalaq's offer was something, I never told anyone. Not even Saira.
President Raiko was not ready to listen to the Avatar, although she was right. But as Saira said, he was a very stubborn and unwise man. But on the other hand, his actions were understandable. He just didn't want to risk the United Nation's safety again after the council's failure. It actually was a good idea but the problem was that he made wrong decisions very often. It was neither good for the city nor for him. He refused to let me do anything. In my opinion, I knew what to do, since I was working since twenty years for the United Forces. I knew the United Republic like my own pocket. Like Saira always joked, I could even rule the United Republic.

I stepped out of the car and walked straight to my office, where a lot of paperwork waited for me. Before I could sit down, there was a knock on the door. I looked up to see the young Asami Sato. She had a big smile as she saw me.

"General.", she greeted.

"Please, just call me Iroh."

"As you wish.", she smiled.

"Well. How may I help you?"

"Uhm, Saira told me that you were looking for a new engineer."

"Did she?", I looked at her surprised, that my wife has told her such an information.

"Yes, she did. I would like to apply for the position. She told me you would employ me."

"Well, I'm afraid, I have to disappoint you, Asami. But I can't employ because we just know each other. You need the requested qualifications, an application letter and a CV. Contacts won't help you here. I want all applicants to have an equal chance.", I explained.

As I said these words, Asami's smile faded and she just nodded. She reminded me of her younger self. I remembered one time, Saira didn't have time to go shopping with her and then she made those puppy eyes. Just like now. I sighed. I didn't like seeing Asami sad but I had no other choice if I wanted equality.