Chapter 8

Chapter 8
• • •

        I woke up on the floor next to my bed, the blankets under me. I grunted as I reached up and grabbed my phone. Turning off the alarm, I stood up and looked down at my bed.

The covers had gotten completely ripped off of my bed, and all of the pillows were scattered around the room. I sighed and gathered everything together in a giant mountain of blankets and pillows on my bare bed.

After a quick shower, I threw on some jeans, Doc Martens, and a comfortable flannel. Not feeling up to drying my hair, I braided it, the braid ending about midway down my back.

After eating a couple more scoops of Froot Loops than I had the day before, I was on my way to school. I didn't feel as solemn or anxious as I had felt the day before, but I still wasn't at my prime.

The anxiety was definitely still there as I made my way into the school. I could feel the gloom hanging over my head like a dark, grey raincloud that wouldn't leave.

I walked into my homeroom and sat in the back next to Scarlett again. She smiled especially large at me and I smiled back as real as possible.

"Why so happy?" I asked her, realizing afterword that I probably sounded like the world's biggest pessimist.

"Oh, I don't know," she paused. "Maybe I just happened to have booked a well needed spa day for the three of us," she said and got super exited again.

I couldn't help but smile at this. Thank god I had Scarlet to cheer me up, even if it was only the slightest bit.

"When?" I asked her.

"Today after school," she smiled again.

"Wow, um, okay. When exactly were you planning on telling me?" I questioned and laughed.

"Today at lunch, but you just made me spoil the surprise. Don't tell Vanah... I'll tell her at lunch," she responded as the teacher walked in.

I nodded in agreement and smiled. Surprisingly I looked forward to going to the spa with them. It seemed like a very normal thing to do, and I could use a bit more normal in my life.

After first period, Scarlett reminded me to stay quiet about the spa day around Savanah. This was pretty ironic considering that Scarlett was the one who was most likely to tell her.

Lord knows I'm damn good at keeping secrets.

Eventually, I made it to lunch, and Scarlett was just beaming with joy as we made our way down to the lunch room. I chuckled as we walked, then looked up at the movement in front of us

Ashton and his crew entered the hallway that we were walking in, and were now a few meters in front of us, their muscular backs making it almost impossible to look away.

I started to feel the anxiety grow in me again, but when I looked over at Scarlett and her big cheesy smile, it helped to stabilize me again.

I looked back ahead at the towering trees that were blocking our view of the hall. Kevin, being Kevin, accidently dropped all of his books.

"Fuck- Eli your such a dipshit!" Kevin said as he bent down to pick up his books, spotting me in the process. "CRYS! Long time no see!" He shouted and Scarlett looked utterly confused.

I just smiled awkwardly as the rest of the group turned around.

"Hey Crystal," Eli said with his deep voice, his brown eyes melting my heart.

I said hi back, then subconsciously looked over at Ashton. He rolled his eyes at Kevin and then found my gaze, looking utterly uninterested.

He didn't even flash a smile in my direction before he turned to Kevin.

"Jesus Christ how long does it take for you to pick up your books?" He asked and Kevin acted offended as he picked up his books in one stroke. Suddenly Kevin's face lit up.

"Crys should totally sit with us at lunch," he suggested.

"Absolutely not," Ashton and I said simultaneously then looked at each other after, both a little surprised at the other's reaction.

"Awee c'mon... Just for today, and if it isn't as bad as you guys think it will be, than she can sit with us from now on. If it doesn't work out well then I'll stop bugging you about it," Kevin negotiated.

"Actually, I have to sit with Scarlett and Savanah to-"

"They can come with you," Kevin said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Thanks for the offer, Kev, but I really shouldn't." I replied and looked at Ashton one more time before I turned to face Scarlett.

A disappointed look was spread on her face, which I returned with a reassuring smile before we continued to walk to the lunch room.

"Holy. Crap." She said when we were almost there, her eyes wide in my direction.

"What??" I asked her, referring to her awe-filled expression.

"You never told me that you guys were like friends now," she started to smile.

"Well, I mean, I didn't think we were." I defended. She shot me a skeptic look.

"You should sit with them tomorrow," she suggested as we sat down at our table, "and if you just so happen to bring me and Vanah along, so be it," she tried to play it off casually, but I chuckled and shook my head.

"Um, no."

"I'm sure Vanah would want to," she tried.

"Scarlett, we're not sitting with them tomorrow," I settled and she gave me a sad face. Savanah sat down and Scarlett immediately started ranting to her about my decision.

I looked across the lunch room to where they sat, and I accidentally locked eyes with the antichrist himself, Ashton.

I quickly flicked my eyes back to my sandwich and tried to keep my face from turning red... but blushing is like quick sand- the harder you fight it, the quicker you sink.

I snapped my head to Scarlett when I heard her calling my name.

"Crystal? Yoohooo??" She repeated.

"Sorry. What were you saying?" I tuned back in, and she mischievously grinned. "Why are you smiling at me like a crazed murderer?" I asked her.

"You like him." She said.

"What?" I asked, clearly confused beyond words. Was she on something?

"Ashton. You like him don't you?" She said and Savanah smiled a little bit at her statement.

"He's an asshole, and I don't like him. He thinks that he can just walk around and rule over everybody! Sure, he's super hot, but that doesn't mean that I like him," I rant.

"Okay, fine, whatever." Scarlett said and sighed.

"I ship it," I heard Savanah say quietly and I glared at her. She looked back at me with a smile then continued with her sandwich.

"You guys suck," I said as lunch was ending.

Great... time to go to bio.