Chapter Twenty-Eight;

"Husband,"

"Wife," Bash smiled as he rolled over, pressing his lips gently to her forehead, his fingers working through the tangles of her chocolate brown hair.

"It's so weird to call you that," she wrinkled her nose before laughing and wrapping her arms around his neck. "But I shall get use to it."

"Indeed you shall, my love." He lowered his head and pressed his lips to the base of her throat.

Her husband. Sebastian was finally her's. How many dreadfully long years had she waited for this moment, this man? Too long, that was indeed for sure.

"Shall we dress for breakfast?" He lifted his head so that he could peer into her eyes. His own sparkling in the little rays of sunlight spilling in through the crimson bed curtains.

"Must we?" She asked as she pulled him on top of her. "Or can we stay here, in bed, a little longer?"

"I would very much like that," his eyes lit up from her suggestion.

"And we are married now and expected to have heirs," she slid her hand to his face, gently caressing his cheek.

"We are," he nuzzled beneath her jawline. "Indeed we are."

*****

"There you two are," Mary stood up from where she had been sitting beside Francis around a large table set up by servants in one of the gardens for the royal family to enjoy their morning meal outdoors on the first warm day of the new season. The young queen circled around the table, embracing her in-laws one at a time before stepping back.

"Yes, here we are," said Bash as he kissed his wife's hand and glanced at her. Their eyes met briefly and they exchanged a look and smiled before turning back to their in-laws.

"I do not want to know what kept you," she said as she hugged Alaina and kissed her cheeks again. "But I am glad you both have finally joined us, right Francis?"

Their attention turned to Francis, who sat slouched in his seat, picking away at the bread on his plate. He looked distant, deep in thought really.

"Francis?"

At the mention of his name his head snapped up and his eyes quickly landing on Alaina, slowly drifting toward his brother and then Mary.

"What have I missed?" He asked as he straightened up in his chair.

"Is everything alright?" Mary asked with a tone of concern.

"Yes," he replied hastily, "All is well." And he forced a smile as he dropped the last bit of crumbs back onto his plate and dusted his hands.

"Alright then," it was clear that she did not believe him for one second, but she did not dare press on. She turned back to Alaina and Bash. "Come, I bet you are both starving."

"Famished actually," Bash said as he took Alaina's hand and led her to the seat beside Mary. She caught his eye and the wicked grin on his face before he turned his back and moved to sit beside Francis.

"You know," Alaina picked at a scone that she set on her plate. "I have yet to see Catherine. Why is that?"

Both Mary and Francis glanced at one another before looking down at the table.

"Well," began Mary quietly as if it pained her to say what she was about to say.

"My mother," Francis began bitterly when he realized his wife couldn't find the right words. "Plotted to have Lola and John kidnapped and to make it seem like John had been killed in the kidnapping."

Alaina's lips pursed into a thin line as her brows furrowed together. That wasn't at all like Catherine to plot something of the sort. She loved her children and her grandson. Why on earth would she go to such lengths?

"She was trying to frame Conde," Mary said when she noticed the look on Alaina's face, "but because I had already... well, you know, her plan sort of failed."

"I see," Alaina went quiet, her gaze dropping to the table. Even still, to risk her son's love and trust for their enemy? Alaina had despised Conde just as much as Catherine had, but she would have never plotted to kidnap the king's only son to frame Conde. "Where is she?"

"Away," replied Francis, his face growing red with anger. "Far away, I hope. I don't care, as long as I never see her again."

Mary looked at her husband and then turned to lean closer to Alaina. "The reports have said she has returned home to her family in Italy."

Ah. Alaina nodded her head, caught her husband's eye and said nothing more. From his expression, he too found it just as odd as she did that Catherine would willingly return home without a fight and without her children.

Oh dear God, please don't hate me. It's been how long? I honestly struggled with this chapter and wrote so many different versions before settling on this.
Sorry for the dreadfully long delay. Hopefully, things will pick up soon 💕