Chapter 14: Winter Thoughts

Once we had gotten to the chieftain's mansion, I had calmed down enough to ask him if Mika and I could purify the symbol. He of course said yes.

"However, there is currently a strong blizzard on the Sacred Mountain. It is dangerous to tread on the mountains during a blizzard. Even the village people would never dare to go. Therefore, I advise you to wait until the storm dies down." He warns. Mikaela and I nod in understanding at his explanation.

"We understand. Thank you." Mika says bowing her head. I quickly follow her lead and bow my head as well before everyone stands up. I brush myself off and follow everyone into the hallway.

"This estate functions as an inn so there are plenty of rooms to stay in." Kiku says with a soft smile.

"Yeah! My personal favorite is vacant now. I'll show you the way!" Ran says excitedly as he takes my hand and runs down the hallway to show me his favorite room. He stops in his track and pops his head back into the hall where everyone else is, never letting go of my hand. "Oh, there's a hot springs too! So all of you have a nice, relaxing time!" Ran grins before continuing to run down the hallway. My ears start to burn as I look down at our hands.

'For living in the Winter Village and having a snow skill, his hands are so warm..it's nice.' I smile to myself as I follow him to a door. He slows to a stop and opens the door for me.

"Ladies first." He says holding his free hand out. I giggle and go in, pulling him after me, since he still held my hand.

"Wow, Ran. This is a really nice room! I see why it's your favorite." I giggle and take in the room. It's a decent size with cream colored walls and white furniture, aside from the kotatsu table in the middle of the room. Placed on top of it was a glass vase with a few sunflowers inside. "My favorite flower!" I say excitedly. Ran chuckles softly and nods.

"Yeah. As soon as I could, I requested that we got some to put in here for you." Ran explained.

"Awe! Thank you!" I let go of his hand and give him a quick hug. "It's like I'll have a little piece of home with me the whole time I'm here."

I notice the bed semi close to the window with warm looking blankets and a plushy pillow. Outside the window, you could see the beautiful white snow covering every tree, bush, and rooftop. It was simply a beautiful sight.

"This really is a great room, Ran. Thanks."

"No problem. If you need anything, my room is just down the hall. Do you need anything before I go?" I tap my chin with my index finger in thought briefly before shaking my head.

"I think I'm good. I'm just going to rest up in here for a while. I'll come find you when I get bored in here." I smile. Ran smiles back and puts his hands on his hips.

"Alright. Rest up. I'll see you later." Ran backs out of the room and closes the door behind him. I sigh as I watch him leave. Part of me doesn't want him to go. Well, a lot of me doesn't want him to go. I seat myself on the bed and I stare out the window. Two little children were playing in the snow together, grabbing at the snow to make snowballs. I smile as I watch them scramble away from each other before launching their snowballs into the air, both missing completely. The two look at each other before bursting into laughter and making more.

I move my gaze to the snow out on the mountain and I'm instantly reminded of Ran's hair. His silky, white hair that framed his sharp looking face. His gorgeous eyes which always held a look of curiosity in them rested just below his hairline. I sighed happily.

'His eyes... I've never seen such beautiful eyes.'

These different thoughts...'it's just admiration..right?'

Or was it? I'm quick to remember the different things he's said to me. He's always been so kind, and after what happened back home, he's been so considerate of my feelings.

"I won't do it on the lips again. I'll hold off on that until you fall in love with me. And when you do, you'll be the one kissing me!"

The thought of that..us kissing..would that happen again?

'...'

'...could it..?'

I cover my face and fall back onto the bed. I think of the countless times he's told me how he feels.

"I was so happy...I've loved you ever since that time."

My heart starts beating louder. 'Is that what this is?' I put my hand to my chest.

'Do I love him too..?'

---------------------------

"Ran?" I ask. I had come out of my room and I was now on a search for my partner.
"Ran?" I call again. I see his head poke out from around a corner.

"Oh, hey Edith!" He greets with a smile. He emerges from the room and walks over to me. "What's up? Did you get a good rest?" I nod and hold my hands together behind my back. Ran tilts his head as if he senses my nerves. "You okay?" He asks.

"Yeah. I was just wondering if..you'd show me around the winter village.." I state with a smile.

"Of course I will! I was actually gonna come ask you that myself, but I guess you beat me to it!" He laughs. I giggle softly and rub my arm. "Are you ready to go now?" He asks.

"Yeah! That's good with me!"

'Perfect! Maybe this'll help me finalize how I feel for him. Hopefully...'