•FIFTY-NINE•

I hummed to myself as I stepped out of my shower and wrapped my towel around my body.

I opened my the bathroom door to be greeted with cool, crisp air compared to the steamy air from the bathroom.

I picked up my phone from my nightstand and pressed the home button. There were tons of missed calls from an unidentified number. I don't know how I didn't hear it ring, but this can't be good.

I swiped the notification across the screen and held the phone up to my ear. It rang once before the person on the other line picked up.

"Hello?" A man answered.

"Hi, who is this?" I asked.

"Are you alone?" The man asked

"Um, I don't thi–"

"Are you alone? This is very important and I just need to know before I say anything." He cut me off.

"Yes, I'm alone. But who is this?" I asked.

"Taylor Caniff. I was in Chicago with you, Jack, Sammy, and everyone else."

"Oh, yeah. I remember you, but how'd you get this number?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"That's really not important right now, but I know what happened with Sammy."

"Yeah, he got into a car accident."

"Yes, but I know Hayes did it."

"Oh, like I wasn't fucking expecting that," I mumbled to myself "Wait, but he wasn't even there."

"I know... I technically did it, but coordinated the whole thing. I crashed the car. I was the driver and I crashed it on purpose." He admitted.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?! Why?" I nearly screamed into the phone.

"Because I needed the money. I didn't want to kill him, and thank God I didn't, but–"

"But nothing. You almost killed him, and he's done nothing to you. I don't care if you needed the fucking money. That's another human being and when I tell the police–"

"No, you can't tell the police about any of this."

"Well, that's too bad because I'm gonna call right now." I took the phone away from my ear and as I was about to press the "end call" button I heard him yell "Wait!" Through the phone.

"What?" I put it back up to my ear.

"You're not safe."

"What? You mean with Hayes?" I asked.

"Yes and just in general. He's–" The call ended and my phone went back to the home screen.

"You just love to talk about me, don't you?" I turned around and looked over at the doorway to see Hayes leaning on the frame. I stared at him in silence, mortified that he was really here.

"Was that Taylor?" He asked and I just looked him up and down "Come on, babe. Just tell me. It's not like you really knew him anyways. He almost killed your friend."

"No, that was you." My voice came out shakey and quiet.

"I didn't crash the car." He crossed his arms over his chest.

"What are you doing here? And how'd you get in?" I attempted to make myself look more confident.

"Still doesn't matter." He started to walk towards me

"Hayes, get away from me! What do you even want?" I asked, trying to hold back my tears.

"I just want you, Gabby."