A Senseless Murder

It was the evening of January 17, 1970, Sherry Bistrol Kennedy was a visiting a friend, Lisa Levine as she was baby sitting a young couple's children in an apartment complex in Potomac, Maryland.

Lisa Levine had been told that the people that she was baby sitting for would be calling every hour or so to check up on their children while she baby sat them.

Sherry Kennedy was a neighbor of Lisa Levine and they lived in Cabin John District of Potomac, Montgomery County, Maryland.

The apartment complex was not far from Montgomery Mall located off Democracy Blvd, in Bethesda, Maryland.

January 17, 1970, my good friend, Debbie Poole and I were trying to call my boyfriend, Douglas Daily on the phone. Debbie Poole lived in Bethesda, Maryland where I grew up and I lived in Alexandria, Virginia at the time.

We both tried to call Doug on the phone but kept getting a busy signal up until around 10:30 PM.

When I finally reached him and he said, "I was on the phone with a friend and she is on the way over to see me as she was visiting a friend."

I had no idea that friend was Sherry Kennedy. They had met in December of 1969 at Ice Skating rink in Potomac, Maryland.

Douglas Daily and I met via Debbie Poole. She introduced us plus Doug Daily knew old friend of mine, Allan Mather.

January 19, 1970, It was a cold, snowy day in Alexandria, Virginia. I got up, got dressed for school.  I walked to the bus stop to wait for the school bus to pick me up and take to John Adams Middle School. 

I walked past a newspaper stand the Headlines read" 17 Years Old Girl Murdered." I did not actually read the newspaper until Grace, my sister, Anna, Sherry Barb, and I arrived at Sherry's apartment in Alexandria, Virginia. 

The newspaper states that Sherry Kennedy was on the way to Doug Daily's home on Belle-haven Road in Bethesda, Maryland off Old Georgetown Road and Ashburton Lane.

She never arrived at Doug home on Bell-haven Road in Bethesda.

 Someone offered her a ride and she accepted it and the person brutally murdered with an ice pick. The person placed her murdered body five miles away from where she lived in the Cabin John Area of Potomac, Maryland.

Ironically, The Kennedy's thought that Sherry had spent the night with Lisa and they called to find out if she had left and Lisa told them she did not the night but the night before they had gotten into an argument because Sherry was using the phone to much where she was babysitting.

Sherry was still dressed when she was brutally murdered 58 years ago today. The Kennedy's buried Sherry at Lincoln Cemetery, in  Washington .D.C. but then moved out of Cabin John, Maryland.

38 years later after she was murdered they found the man who murdered her in a California Prison and this is because he had raped and murdered a little eight year old girl and was on death  row for her murder.

The man was a drifter, watching his victims and then preying on them and killing them. Thank The Lord and Lady that California put him on death row.

Sherry Kennedy would be years old now if she had lived, but she died tragically at 17 years old.

May she find rest and peace now.