XV. A Fantastic Thanksgiving (part three)

Continuing...

"Well, aren't you going to ask me what I'm thankful for?" A brunette woman in her sixties, standing by the doorway, interrupted the group of people in the dining hall and made her presence known. She was wearing an all-black pantsuit with a red blouse underneath and matching lipstick. She was holding a ceramic dish and handed it to Sydney. "Here, my dear. Serve this for dessert." The man in a butler tuxedo took the ceramic dish, bowed then left for the kitchen.

"Cora, my darling!" Eva said in delight. She rose from her chair and welcomed the other lady in la bise as they greeted each other cheek-to-cheek. "I apologize for not being able to wait for you, dearest. We had a little...incident, before you came."

"It's alright, darling," Cora replied, giving a half-smile. She didn't look too friendly, but that might be because of her naturally stern demeanor. She studied the faces around the room, searching for familiarity. "Looking at all these people, they looked famished. I'm sure, you all couldn't wait to eat." She gave wry smile, acknowledging the crowd.

Eva led her lady guest to Leo who in turn rose from his chair. "Ah, my dear Madam Mayor. It's good to see you," He said and kissed Cora's hand.

"Likewise, Mr. Tycoon," Cora replied with a sly smile.

The three elderly people laughed heartedly at their inside joke. The rest of the people in the room kept quiet, glancing at each other.

Madam Mayor... Madam Mayor? Emma pondered, wondering about the seemingly familiar ring to that piece of information. Where have I heard that before?

Sydney, who came back to the dining hall from the quick kitchen trip, led Mayor Cora to the empty chair next to Mr. Gold on his right, who had clear disinterest written on his face. "Gold," Cora said and gave him a wry smile.

"Mills," Mr. Gold sneered.

Emma's face contorted to a look of confusion. She had been thinking long and hard about the possible answers about the mysterious woman sitting between Gold and Henry. Mills...? Wait, then that means-

"Hello, mother," Regina nonchalantly broke the silence as she acknowledged the newest member of the party.

Mother??... Oh, no wonder. I have heard it before. She's Mayor Cora Mills. Why didn't I put two and two before? Emma's head began to hurt again. I seriously need to stop thinking so much.

"Regina, dear," Cora said, giving the unimpressed woman a half-smile. "Honestly, do we need to have elegant parties such as this for you to visit me?" She added as she caressed the back of Henry's head. "You know I've missed you, especially my dearest grandson."

"I missed you too, grandma," Henry claimed with a sparkle in his eye, glancing up at Mayor Mills who in turn gave him a warm smile.

Regina didn't answer immediately. She closed her eyes, inhaled through her nose and let out a long steady stream of air. "How could we visit? We were both too busy," she confidently replied.

"And who is this young man standing near the doorway?" Leo Swan announced, making everyone avert their focus to the entrance of the room. "Come on in, sir." He motioned for the man to proceed.

Behind Mr. Gold was a dirty-blonde haired man in a gray colored coat and tie holding two bottles of red wine proceeded to enter. Mary Margaret instantly recognized him and jumped up from her chair and admitted, "he's my guest, papa." Sir Leo slightly bowed his head to man who in turn bowed his. After the man handed Sydney the two wine bottles, Mary Margaret hooked her arm with his, led him to where her father and mother were sitting and introduced him. "These are my parents, Eva and Leo Swan," Mary Margaret said to the man who bowed at the two elegant people sitting composed. She then turned her focus to her parents. "Mama, papa, this is Dr. Whale... My boyfriend."