Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Turning on her too high heels Stacy sent me a small smile that seemed friendly, I wanted to lean in just to be sure I identified the emotion correctly when she leaned in to give Wes a kiss goodbye. Digging my fingers into my palm I watched as her lips whispered over the thin corner of his mouth yet again, grinding my teeth together I fought the urge to rip her off of him. Oh my dentist is going to give me an ear full, I thought as Stacy whispered something in Wes's ear. Heck I'd be lucky to have teeth by the time she steps into the taxi.

"Khloe."

Forcing my gaze away from the scene in front of me I was surprised to feel my mother's arms engulf me in a warm hug, her rich perfume tickled my senses, bringing back happier memories of when she use to notice me. Times when she would brush my hair before my first day of school, babbling on and on about how many friends I would make. A lump lodged its self in my throat, unconsciously I lifted my arms to hug her back for a moment, under a foggy haze of when my mother truly was my mother. Before my father broke her. My arms dropped to my sides as reality slapped me in the face, a cold reminder of how damaged she was now.

"Thank you for what you're doing." she whispered in my ear before pulling an arms length away

Her soft honey eyes glistened with unshed tears as one slid down her papery cheek "I'm sorry for what happened at the party honey, I shouldn't have kicked you out." she said in a small whisper her voice cracking with regret

I wanted to say it was okay, that I know she didn't mean it but we both knew that was a lie. I over stepped the boundaries by bringing her failed marriage up knowing how much it still affected my mother and in result she wanted to inflict the same low blow. It wasn't the first time this has happened and I'm confident it won't be the last either. Nodding I stepped out of her reach, turning away I started toward Wes who was wiping Stacy's kiss while she was distracted with her phone. Fighting back a smile I cleared my throat gaining his attention, flashing me boyish grin he dropped his hand when my mother kissed the same cheek.

"Again I'm sorry for being so rude to you." she apologized for the umpteenth time

"It's alright Ms. Sparks." he chuckled dismissing her apology

She offered him a soft smile before following Stacy into the taxi, stepping in she gave one last wave as the taxi pulled away from the curb. Breathing a sigh of relief I glanced down at my phone that was in my hand, just in time to get back to the office. Tucking my phone back in it's pocket in my tote bag I opened my mouth to thank Wes when his large hand grabbed my elbow.

"Uh no sweetheart you're not going anywhere." he said in a stern tone

"I have a job to do as I'm sure you do as well." I retorted trying to pull my arm out of his grip but he wasn't letting go

He shook his head a lock of his black hair falling over his left brow, my fingers itched to brush the loose strand away and run my fingers through the soft, mid-night hair. To feel the silk between my fingers as I brush my mouth against his strong jaw, to graze my teeth over the muscles as his hands fist my hair...

Shaking my head I banished the distracting and hormonic thoughts away "I have someone covering for me and you are going to call your office to inform them of your extra lunch."

"Excuse me." I all but growled as I narrowed my eyes in disobedience "What makes you think that I would do anything you say?" I challenged

His own eyes narrowed meeting my determined gaze, his fingers tightened around my elbow before he tugged me forward. Yelping in surprise I stumbled over my own feet and slammed ungracefully against his chest, my forehead hitting his solid chest. Groaning I rubbed my forehead which had taken the worst of the impact, snapping my head up I sent him a dirty glare when I spotted my phone in his hand.