Chapter Two

Chapter Two (Ethan's POV)

A lot of people come out of prison or jail talking about how much they missed the sunlight. The warmth of it on your skin, the rays casting a glow across the world, the bright day and vibrant colors surrounding you.

It's bullshit.

It burnt my eyes, making me squint and a shock of unwanted irritation go through me. I had to walk that way all the way to school the day they let me out because my parents were working and couldn't come pick me up. I was perfectly fine with that.

The sun was particularly hot that day and it felt more like a day in August than a day in October. Despite the breeze, I wanted to be inside with an air conditioner.

As soon as I got to school, I waited for Nick to show up. Just so I could surprise him because I loved the look on his face when he was stunned. No homo, but he was kinda cute when he did that. It was probably one of the reasons his boyfriend, Oliver Patterson, loved him so much.

I hated thinking about that, though, and I had no idea why.

Nick Cooper was my best friend since... forever. We shared secrets, food, clothes, sometimes even his house. He was there for me when my parents weren't and I was there for him when his dad died. I was struck almost as hard as he was when his father died because the man was like a father to me too. He knew what Nick didn't know.

The one secret I never told Nick and I never would.

I wanted people to see me, but I didn't want people to see me the way my parents did. I wanted people to see me as Ethan Niles, the guy who didn't take shit from anyone, the quarterback. It was hard to keep a mask on when the strings were breaking lose.

I mentally slapped myself for the sappy metaphor and looked up to see Nick pulling into the school parking lot in his mother's Ford Escape. Nice car, for a woman anyway. I teased Nick about it constantly and it always made him mad. Another thing that was funny because his cheeks turned red and I swore sometimes he blacked out when he was angry.

My smile melted as I saw Nick getting out of the car with Oliver, but it wasn't Oliver that made me frown. It was the freshman getting out of the back seat, dressed in black from head to toe. The clothes had to be at least two sizes too big, the hood of his sweatshirt pulled up and hiding his dark head and dark blue eyes.

Lucas Patterson.

Oliver's cousin. He was a freak, but an interesting freak. He hardly spoke a word and when he did, the authority and intelligence in his voice surprised me. Part of me was drawn to it, but I wasn't about to get myself involved with someone like him. Not in any sense of the word either.

I only needed Nick.

And I was shocked at the jolt of joy I felt when Nick's bright blue eyes landed on me. He blinked, that stunned look crossing his face before he immediately dropped his bag, bolting over to me. I was caught off guard by his fierce hug, his arms almost engulfing me because we were practically the same height and weight. I think I was just a tad bigger than him, though.

But that was my personal opinion.

Maybe.

"Oh my God," Nick groaned, pulling back to look at me, still awed, "I didn't think you were gonna get out for another month!"

"Good behavior." I answered curtly. Nick rolled his eyes.

"You sure you're the Ethan I know?"

"Shit, yea. Oh, speaking of that, wanna take me home and feed me after school? I'm starving and I don't have cash for lunch at school today." I replied, faking cheeriness as I grinned wickedly, watching Nick smirk.