Chapter Five

The silence was bated and intense as Ellen stared at Hans, the type of silence you would expect when you see a performer walking a tightrope in front of a large audience. But there was no audience here. It was just the young, innocent girl and the former Grand Master of the Tempusmancers in an empty bedroom, in a common suburban home, in a well-off neighbourhood.

She continued staring at him through weary, agonising eyes, her teeth biting into the soft skin of her lips. Her desk lamp gave her a yellow, ghost-like tinge to her skin which made her look ill. Was she getting ill? Or was it just the effect of the proposition he gave her? Her stomach gave a jolt from the anxiety that rushed her. It felt as if she was caught between a rock and a hard place.

In fact, that's exactly where she was.

Ellen took the moment to mull over the choice she was given. It was between resuming her ordinary life as a teenager and pursue her dream or to live her life as a time-influence of sorts. She closed her eyes and began to speak.

"Hans..." she paused. "I really appreciate that you see potential in me but I don't think I could live that life. It's dangerous and what if it puts my family or friends at risk?"

The man sighed, an indication of resignation.

"I understand," he said simply. "Some people aren't built for this life." He turned around and straightened his clothes. He looked back at Ellen.

"In that case, the Grand Committee will begin the process of revoking your Tempusmancer practicing abilities. This should be within two weeks. In those two weeks if you feel the need to contact me, just imagine yourself talking to me in your mind. I will add that after that period, you won't remember a thing." He peered at her for a moment longer. Suddenly, he turned on his heel and left the bedroom through the ajar door. As if by automatic reflex, Ellen fled after him but by the time she burst into the dark hallway and ran to the head of the stairs, Hans had already disappeared without a single sound.

She sunk to her knees, head in hands, with her hair falling around her and creating a veil. She felt guilty for letting him down; the fact that he had divulged so much information to her. The nausea she felt ate at her, threatening to make her physically sick.

Tears rolled down cheeks, the first drop hitting the hallway carpet and darkening the area within seconds.

- - -

Three figures waited impatiently in the dark, unbeknownst to Ellen, across the road from her home. Excitement grew between them at what they had overheard and the decision the girl had made. This would please their superior greatly, maybe even to the point of being rewarded. As ruthless as he was, he always rewarded great help. 

They had remained at their observation posts for a large portion of the day, watching as Ellen came home on her bicycle; her and her family having dinner, her reading the book and Hans appearing behind her. It was difficult to stay idle for such a long period of time and pretend they were city workers tending to the gardens. No one took double glances at city workers, they seemed to blend in to their surroundings. But it had paid off when the man left post haste, and they were able to ditch the disguises as soon as night had fell so long as they stayed out of sight.

The smallest man grew overbearingly impatient and was the first to break silence. "Do you think we should let him know?" He had a weak voice, and high-pitched like a mouse.

"He has his ways. He probably already knows and is making his way here," the second man replied, his tone implying boredom. Although the man that spoke first was a new convert, he had an unruly habit of grossly underestimating the power of their fearless superior. The second man took a glance at the third – and final – member of the small party. "What do you think?"