Chapter 23

"Can we go to the annex now?" Michel asked in his thick French accent.

Lorelai shot him an annoyed glance, clearly busy with checking out a couple from Utah. "Just a minute, Michel. Once I finish checking out our guests, I'll have Aubrey take over the front desk and you and I will be free to meet Tom." As hard as it was to keep her voice free from irritation, she felt like she achieved her goal.

The sale on the annex was set to close in a week but Lorelai had been granted permission from the nuns to bring Tom in to get a better idea on budget and timeline for the spa. Michel was bursting at the seams to get the work started because he "was born to run a spa." As much as Lorelai hated the thought of accepting money from her mother, she hoped that even though she was expanding her business and not Luke's, she would somewhat still honor her father's wishes.

Lorelai finished the check out and gestured to Aubrey to work the front desk. She looked at Michel, who was standing to the side of the door with unrestrained excitement. As she approached, she rolled her eyes and said, "Okay, Michel, let's go."

"Yippe!"

Once at the annex, Tom walked through with a clipboard, making notes about things that needed done. Lorelai began to fear his final figures with how much he furiously scribbled but once the estimate was rendered, she felt herself relax. It was a little more than she hoped but she would have enough to cover the demo and remodel— provided Michel didn't try putting expensive fixtures in every area.

Lorelai had to admit that Michel looked downright happy. He did most of the collaborating with Tom, explaining how he wanted the spa laid out and where he thought the perfect spots were for the mud baths, massage tables, or manicure stations. He picked out the colors he felt would achieve the ambiance he wanted, as well as the flooring and finishing touches. When the Dragonfly was being renovated, Lorelai had to have a say in all areas except for the kitchen. Her taste is evident in nearly every room, every corner. The spa, she realized, was all Michel's. And she had no problem letting go of the reins.

*****

Sookie moved effortlessly around the kitchen at the Dragonfly. She paused for a moment, looking around. After being gone for two years, she had feared that she would have lost some of her touch with cooking. However, being back for a couple days showed her she still had what it took. As she always had, Sookie tried to find inspiration in anything and everything— colors, flavors, styles. Her goal was to make food that no one else around could mimic.

Her time away had been fruitful. When she told Lorelai she wanted to take some time away, she explained that she needed to find her fervor and vigor again. Jackson had told her in passing about a friend who had been looking for volunteers to do soil testing and she thought it might be interesting. After all, good soil yields good crops, which yield great-tasting dishes. Sookie was able to use her knowledge to help Jackson get his pH balances perfected prior to beginning the growing seasons, which drastically multiplied the vegetables he harvested.

Returning her focus to the kitchen help, Sookie eyed Eric who was chopping onions. "Those onions need to be smaller!"

Spying Helene using a knife incorrectly, she moved toward her to show her how to properly slice as opposed to tearing the food with the blade.

It is good to be back.

*****

Odette's stay in Stars Hollow came to a close. Surprising Rory, she made plans with Odette every day, showing her around the area. On some outings, Logan or Lane joined. Others were only the two women.

When Odette first wanted to meet Rory, she had no idea what to expect. Now, though, she felt like Odette could easily become a good friend. They had similar tastes in nearly everything— though Rory forgave her the childhood interest in Hanson— leading to lively debates when their positions didn't match.

The more time they spent with Odette, the more Rory understood why Logan was so torn between the two of them. Even if they had gotten married, Logan would have been friends with his wife and, while that isn't nearly as wonderful as being in love, it may have provided a strong foundation for a marriage. The more Rory thought about this, the more questions had surfaced. Ones she intended to ask Logan later that evening after seeing Odette off.

The most important question...if they hadn't seen each other in Hamburg, would Logan have gone through with the wedding?