Day 20

Day 20 

Rory's POV

____________

 I'll be over at 7:45 to pick you up. Don't be late like last time ;) 

I stare at Kale's text, the hole in my stomach growing bigger and bigger. After last night, there was no way I would be able to face him. 

No matter what I thought of Kale previously, I couldn't mask the truth. Following Liam's departure last night, I found a film roll in the packet he gave me along with some other pictures of Kale. There was no way he could have photo shopped those unless he was secretly Harry Potter's twin.

Every one of those pictures had Kale pushing girls into a black van- every single picture.

 'Maybe he was trying to help the girls.' My conscience suggests.

By handcuffing them and forcing them into a car? Seemed like a legit way to help somebody who's being sold for sex.

Not.

I dial my best friend's number. "Rory?" 

"Yeah, it's me..." I trail off. "Co-could you by chance come and get me? Now?"

Maybe it was something in my voice or just an overall miracle because Lanie doesn't question me. "Sure. I'll be there in five."

I hang up with a sigh. 

I knew Kale said he would tell me his secret when it was time, but was he ever going to? I mean, 'Hey, I sell girls for a living,' is not something you would tell your girlfriend. I just wanted to know why he does it. What did he get out of giving these girls away? Did he feel no guilt? 

A honk from outside pulls me from my thoughts. "Rory!" My mother yells from downstairs. 

"Coming!" As I make my way down the staircase, a body pops up in front of me. 

I jump in surprise. "Cyan!"

"Why isn't Kale picking you up?" 

"Why do you care? And why aren't you ever at college? I'm pretty sure you can't get a degree by sitting at home 24/7."

He rolls his eyes, "Did you guys get in a fight?"

I push past him, "Kale's busy right now."

"At seven in the morning? Speaking of which, why are you leaving so early?"

"Bye Cyan." I say, ignoring his question and walking out the door. 

"Rory!" He yells from the door. I shake my head all the way to Lanie's car.

"What's up with him? My best friend asks, nodding her head at Cyan.

Rolling down my window, I send her a pointed look. "Are you seriously asking me that?"

Lanie laughs, backing out of the driveway. "I guess you have a point there."

"Y-" I'm cut off by a voice on the sidewalk. "Rory?"

I'm seriously debating if God just hates me or really hates me because standing outside my open window is the one person I hoped not to see-

Kale. 

You could tell he just came back from an intense run because his body was very shirtless, very sweaty, and very very yummy.

I wince at the thoughts running through my mind.  

Why did it have to be human trafficking? Why couldn't he have been a thief or vandal or something?